Ultimate ears Super fi 4vi Review

sprintrjm

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle
I just picked up these tonight. I jumped in my car and whipped em out.

$149.00 + tax

Awesome Mids and Highs, really clear, but totally lacking bass.

I tried to adjust the eq to see if i could get these to really shine.

Nope, the lack of bass was a killer for me.

The speakers are really sensitive, where as they don't take much power to move them, but they cannot handle higher volume levels or an increase of the bass level.

I'm guessing they have 8mm drivers or even less, which kills the lows.

I'm taking them back and picking up a pair of Ultimate ears super .fi pro's

im tired of buying pretty good headphones, but i should have just committed to dropping some cash from the beginning.

here's my disappointment list

vmoda vibe duo's ---> good lows, muddy mids and highs.

skull candy fmj with iPhone mic / button ----> ok lows, garbage mids and highs.

ultimate ears super fi 4vi ----> see above

Jvc Marshmallow ----> surprising value for the money.

Hope the Ultimate e's super fi 5 pro's live up to the hype.

i0Nic

Feb 19, 2008
Hey, I recently bought the super.fi 4vi and I too find the lack of bass slightly disturbing. I was going to get the vibe duos but you say they have muddy sound? Is it really that bad? For me the only viable choice is either the vmoda's or stick with the super.fi 4vi, otherwise there's the boss on-ear or in-ear headphones. Out of all those which would you rather?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The Triple.fi 10vi is the absolute best out there for iPhone specific sets. It has three armature drivers in each bud with a really neutral sounding crossover. I've used them both with the iPhone headphone out and via my XM5 amp, and they really, really produce great sound.

sprintrjm

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle
bass

Is the problem lack of bass or lack of over-emphasized, booming bass?
4vi, almost no Nass whatsoever. The 10's do sound great, but I compromised a little and went with the ie-30's that are made by ultimate ears.

And in regards to which out of the sub 100$ headphones, the vmoda's sounded pretty good for the money. Not great but good.

i0Nic

Feb 19, 2008
4vi, almost no Nass whatsoever. The 10's do sound great, but I compromised a little and went with the ie-30's that are made by ultimate ears.

And in regards to which out of the sub 100$ headphones, the vmoda's sounded pretty good for the money. Not great but good.
So you'd rather v-moda vibes over the super.fi 4vi?

sprintrjm

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle
re vmoda

So you'd rather v-moda vibes over the super.fi 4vi?
I'd give the 4vi's about a 8.5/10 for mids and highs and 4/10 for bass.

the vmoda's i give a 7/10 mids highs, 8.5/10 bass.

For the price of the two the vmoda's sounded better all around for me.

I decided to get the m-audio ie-30's, the ones with the drivers produced by ultimate ears, with 2 drivers per ear.

$225.00 and im happy i spend the extra 125. Although they don't have a mic or a button to advance or pause a song.

But for the $100 range, the vibes would be a pretty good bet.

marcol

Aug 22, 2008
+1. I got a pair of Super-fi 4vi phones last week and have to agree that the level of bass is woefully deficient. I sent them back after several fruitless hours of playing with EQ and fit trying to sort this.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
For those complaining about no bass, you need to find out if there is a burn in time for the headphones. Some require several hours of play before they "break-in" and reach their True sound.
I have the Maximo i-Metals and when I first listened to them, the highs and mids were about all you could hear. After 3 hours of playing at half volume, I could hear a LOT more bass and the sound was very well rounded.
I have 3 "test" songs for bass. Each song has a different amount of low-end. One is stronger, One is deeper, and one is both.

Digital Underground - Humpty Dance extended
Korn - Evolution
Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get through this (yeah, it's cheese, but a good rep of dance club bass.)

If a headset can play all three of those songs and the bass is well represented in each one, then the headset is a winner.

Before getting pissed off at the headset, make sure you have done everything you were supposed to to ensure good sound quality.

marcol

Aug 22, 2008
Hawk, thanks for the advice. It's a bit late now as they've gone back but they did have at least a couple of hours of music through them with no appreciable change. I also tried all of the supplied eartips (the double flanges were probably the best but still not at all good) as well as some Comply foam tips and followed all the advice I could find on insertion, including that that comes with the Complys. I don't think I could have done much more to try to improve the fit. I also tried a variety of EQs with the different tips - 'Bass booster' was the best but still nowhere near what I'd want.

For reference I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones, which are generally regarded as a pretty neutral set of cans. With no EQ these sound pretty damned perfect to me, so it's not like the iPhone has a problem. In fact I'd say the phone has a distinctly warmer sound than the 3rd gen iPod nano it has replaced (apparent both with the HD25-1s and V-Moda Vibes).

I can't say for sure of course that if I'd used them for longer that bass wouldn't have magically appeared, but it really would have taken a big increase to make it acceptable. Also, if extensive burn-in is really required, why don't Ultimate Ears say so?

PS Sorry if I seem a bit antsy about this, but the experience does have me a bit annoyed!

sprintrjm

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
Seattle
re 4vi

Hawk, thanks for the advice. It's a bit late now as they've gone back but they did have at least a couple of hours of music through them with no appreciable change. I also tried all of the supplied eartips (the double flanges were probably the best but still not at all good) as well as some Comply foam tips and followed all the advice I could find on insertion, including that that comes with the Complys. I don't think I could have done much more to try to improve the fit. I also tried a variety of EQs with the different tips - 'Bass booster' was the best but still nowhere near what I'd want.

For reference I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 headphones, which are generally regarded as a pretty neutral set of cans. With no EQ these sound pretty damned perfect to me, so it's not like the iPhone has a problem. In fact I'd say the phone has a distinctly warmer sound than the 3rd gen iPod nano it has replaced (apparent both with the HD25-1s and V-Moda Vibes).

I can't say for sure of course that if I'd used them for longer that bass wouldn't have magically appeared, but it really would have taken a big increase to make it acceptable. Also, if extensive burn-in is really required, why don't Ultimate Ears say so?

PS Sorry if I seem a bit antsy about this, but the experience does have me a bit annoyed!
The ultimate 5vi's are coming out in october. And ipray that they finally produce a high end, high quality set of iPhone earsets. For $189.00 i surely hope so.

I am just amazed by the lack of bass what so ever from the 4vi's.

I had them for nearly a week, hoping every day that they would come to life.

For $149.00 ultimate ears has to be utterly embarrassed about the lack of a fundamental tone, Bass.

Cheers again. ----> i have to stop posting all beered up.