ultrasn0w out now!

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Ive never cared about unlocking my iPhone until now because I am selling it on eBay to cover the cost of my new 3GS. What my question is can it be used on ANY carrier or only GSM? I cant find an answer anywhere else so if you guys could help me out, it would be appreciated. I want to be able to list all possible carriers in the eBay listing.

EDIT: Feel free to hijack this thread...I thought announcing the ultrasn0w release would bring traffic to this thread for my question but general discussion is encouraged.

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Not a very good idea to mislead others by giving your topic an irrelevant title. You may get banned by the moderators for this!

Regarding your query - You haven't mentioned whether you have a 2G iPhone or a 3G. If its a 2G then just use Redsnow to jailbreak and unlock. If its a 3G then you have to use Yellowsnow to unlock.

GSM is the network system and not name of any carrier like AT&T, Tmobile etc. Once you unlock your phone it will work with any carrier.

Hope this helps.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Not a very good idea to mislead others by giving your topic an irrelevant title. You may get banned by the moderators for this!

Regarding your query - You haven't mentioned whether you have a 2G iPhone or a 3G. If its a 2G then just use Redsnow to jailbreak and unlock. If its a 3G then you have to use Yellowsnow to unlock.

GSM is the network system and not name of any carrier like AT&T, Tmobile etc. Once you unlock your phone it will work with any carrier.

Hope this helps.
I'm sorry but I am not misleading anyone. I used the title to announce the release of ultrasnow since it became available and no one reported it yet. I don't feel I did anything wrong. Secondly I have a 3g device with 3.0 so I need ultrasnow not yellow snow as yellowsnow does not work with 3.0. And finally i know that gsm is not a carrier, it is the type of service a carrier uses which in turn corresponds with the device's cellular radio so I have answered my own question and I will correct you in saying that the iPhone will not work with ANY carrier because there are carriers that use CDMA like verizon and spirint. I was simply looking for what carriers would work with the unlocked iPhone. Thanks for your help anyways.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The topic title is correct. Ultrasn0w is out. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/128573459/ultras-now For all of those looking to unlock your 3G iPhone running 3.0 it is out. Follow the directions and you are as good as gold. Enjoy!

I've tried this unlock and it works.

But my signal randomly comes in and drops out soon after. I'm going to Remove it for the time being. It's not something that'll i use often.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I've tried this unlock and it works.

But my signal randomly comes in and drops out soon after.
That's what I've been reading in the comments over and the Dev Team blog. Seems like people are getting spotty reception, and dropped calls. I'm hesitant to use it just yet. Need to sell this 3G though!

eureka

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
is the iPhone 3gs jailbreakable yet?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That's what I've been reading in the comments over and the Dev Team blog. Seems like people are getting spotty reception, and dropped calls. I'm hesitant to use it just yet. Need to sell this 3G though!

I un-installed the unlock straight away. It was well buggy. I literally unlocked the phone and my signal would be there for a few seconds and gone the next. It was strange and kind of annoying. I think i'll wait until it's fully functional.