UME contacts transfer solution

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So I wnet to ATT and bought the 512MB stick and the transfered my contacts from my old Razr. However, what do I do know. There is a pbb file on the memory card but I can't import that file into Outlook or drag and drop it into my iPhone via iTunes as had been suggested by Apple and ATT. No one at either seems to know what I am supposed to do with this file to get my old contacts on to my iPhone. Has anyone gone through this process and can share what I need to do?

aidanjax

Jul 3, 2007
So I wnet to ATT and bought the 512MB stick and the transfered my contacts from my old Razr. However, what do I do know. There is a pbb file on the memory card but I can't import that file into Outlook or drag and drop it into my iPhone via iTunes as had been suggested by Apple and ATT. No one at either seems to know what I am supposed to do with this file to get my old contacts on to my iPhone. Has anyone gone through this process and can share what I need to do?
I have the same problem. I've saved the data from the flash card onto my pc, but iTunes is not picking it up. How are you dealing with this issue?

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I have the same problem. I've saved the data from the flash card onto my pc, but iTunes is not picking it up. How are you dealing with this issue?
Im not now. I had to manually re-enter everything in Outlook as ATT and Apple were no help.

Now I have a worthless 512 USB key for 15 bucks

aidanjax

Jul 3, 2007
Im not now. I had to manually re-enter everything in Outlook as ATT and Apple were no help.

Now I have a worthless 512 USB key for 15 bucks
I spent $20, so consider yourself lucky! There's no way I can manually enter thousands of contacts. By the time I get done, iPhone 2.0 will be out. If I find a solution I will post it for you. I'm speaking with a relative of mine at microsoft. Maybe he'll find a solution.

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I spent $20, so consider yourself lucky! There's no way I can manually enter thousands of contacts. By the time I get done, iPhone 2.0 will be out. If I find a solution I will post it for you. I'm speaking with a relative of mine at microsoft. Maybe he'll find a solution.
My buddy was in the same boat (meaning he had a LOT of contacts). He ultimately had to enter them manually as he got no help either.

If you find a solution please let us know

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My buddy was in the same boat (meaning he had a LOT of contacts). He ultimately had to enter them manually as he got no help either.

If you find a solution please let us know

Just got off the phone with ATT and explained to them what I when through (store support, ATT phone support, Apple support) and told them no one could get it to work and that store would not let me return it. They ended up giving me a $25.00 credit. This may not be solice for people with thousands of contacts but I was happy in the end as I didn't have that many to manually re-enter.

It still would be interesting to know if anyone can get this to work

aidanjax

Jul 3, 2007
Just got off the phone with ATT and explained to them what I when through (store support, ATT phone support, Apple support) and told them no one could get it to work and that store would not let me return it. They ended up giving me a $25.00 credit. This may not be solice for people with thousands of contacts but I was happy in the end as I didn't have that many to manually re-enter.

It still would be interesting to know if anyone can get this to work
I'm gonna get a credit myself. If/when I hear back from my ms contact I will let y'all know the outcome.

aidanjax

Jul 3, 2007
Looks interesting. If I would have known this, I would have bought it before I went to the Schelps at ATT who took my money for nothing in return.

Although its all good now that I got my credit, I'm still not hapy about the fact they tried to bowl me over.
I think they were/are just clueless. Apparently Apple is hording all the iPhones and accessories. At & T is kind of in the dark and is leaving all this up to us guinea pigs.

alpinerose

Jul 3, 2007
I got my PhoneBook onto the iPhone from a Razr. Here's How.

I had purchased the Motorola software that allowed the ability to upload Ringtones to the RAZR two years ago. Well it also allows archiving the RAZR Phonebook to the PC and merge it to an existing Windows Outlook Express "WAB" file.

I merged my RAZR Phonebook with my Outlook Express in what took a half an hour for the PC to do. But when it was done. I then did a selectively Sync through iTunes for a "Windows Address Book".

Bingo ! It worked.

I had already written down two hundred numbers on a Big Chief Tablet in prep of spending July 4th on the couch with finger cramps. Not so. I think I spent $20 two years ago for the Motorola software.

Hope this helps someone. I spent all day yesterday working through it. And my local ATT was worthless, as well. They even gave me the UME software that errored out when I tried to port the phonebook over to the PC.

kristiefix

Jul 3, 2007
The answer...

The .PBB is Microsoft Mail (NT4.0)...

I finally got this info off of another forum, and it works so thought I would share it here...

1. Download a Content Manager, I downloaded one from Cellebriteusa.net: http://cellebriteusa.net/contentmanager/
2. Extract and open the program
3. select Contacts > Open Phonebook
4. select the .pbb file
5. select Contacts > Export and select either Outlook or Outlook Express

Then go to iTunes, connect your iPhone, click the info tab, select the Contacts and Calendar buttons and choose Sync...

Hope this helps, for those who haven't manually entered their phone numbers yet.

Jul 3, 2007
tranferring contacts

easy. do you have bluetooth on your computer? i have a macbook, and i just synched it with my old razor, very easy and self-explanatory. then i synched my iPhone with my iTunes, duh, like you do every night i suppose, and now i have my 500 contacts or however many they are, in my iPhone.

if no bluetooth, sorry i can't help.

good luck!

m

aidanjax

Jul 3, 2007

I finally got this info off of another forum, and it works so thought I would share it here...

1. Download a Content Manager, I downloaded one from Cellebriteusa.net: http://cellebriteusa.net/contentmanager/
4. select the .pbb file

Then go to iTunes, connect your iPhone, click the info tab, select the Contacts and Calendar buttons and choose Sync...

Hope this helps, for those who haven't manually entered their phone numbers yet.
I gave up trying and spent my 4th of July holiday manually entering all of the contact info from the old razr phone.

M P

Jul 10, 2007
Success.......

Thanks kristiefix. The answer worked like a charm.........

4. select the .pbb file

eggsyntax

Aug 8, 2007
Unfortunately, this solution doesn't work on a Mac. I haven't been able to find a solution that does, so I'm putting one together. At a minimum, if you're familiar with grep (or have Text Wrangler, which allows grep-style replace and search), here's how you can convert your .pbb file to a text file that can be imported by Address Book:

delete header ('CELLPBKb100' in my case)
[^a-z^A-Z^0-9] -> null
([a-z])([A-Z]) -> \1 \2
([a-zA-Z])([0-9]) -> \1\t\2
([0-9])([a-zA-Z])-> \1\r\2
Import to Address Book. Define 1st field as 'first name', 2nd field as 'Phone(mobile)'. Uncheck 'Ignore first card'.

Note -- I used this piece of software to find the file format: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/d...r.net/downloads/AddressBookExporter-2.1.2.dmg

I'd love for a few people to send me .pbb files so I can make sure that my solution is universal. You can reach me at egg at pumpkinhollow dot net.

eggsyntax

Aug 8, 2007
Update: I've taken this information and incorporated it into a perl script. You can download the script here or copy & paste the following. Make the file executable and run it as: 'pbbfix inputfilename outputfilename' where inputfilename is the .pbb file you received from AT&T and outputfilename is an arbitrarily named file which should be importable to Address Book as a text file. In case it's not obvious, I make no warranty of any kind that this software will do anything at all. It's a quick fix; you may have to hack about in it; alternately, it may destroy your Mac forever; not my problem.

#!/usr/bin/env perl

# (cc) 2007 Egg Syntax: Noncommercial-Attribution-ShareAlike
# egg@pumpkinhollow.net http://www.novonon.com

# This code is intended for Mac users who have purchased an iPhone
# and gotten their old contacts on a flash drive from AT&T in .pbb
# format, which is pretty much readable on mswindows systems only.
# make the file executable and run it with your .pbb file as the
# inputfilename and the output file (named by outputfilename) will
# be a text file importable by Address Book.
# Good luck! At the moment, this is based entirely on the .pbb file
# I received, so it may not be universal. If it doesn't work on
# your system, feel free to send a copy of you .pbb file to my
# email address (see above) and maybe I'll try to change the code
# so that it works on yours as well. Alternately, feel free to
# muck with it yourself. For commercial uses, please contact me...
# although if you're in this for a living, you certainly ought
# to be able to recreate my code ;P

if ($#ARGV != 1) {
print "usage: pbbfix inputfilename outputfilename\n";
exit;
}
$filein = $ARGV[0];
$fileout = $ARGV[1];
open(OF, $filein);
open(NF, ">$fileout");
$firstlines = 0;
while ($line = <OF>) {