Umm.... Emails charged as texts?

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I thought E-mails counted as Data? My cycle just started three days ago and it says I've already used 150/200 texts. I've almost been exclusively receiving e-mails from my friends mobile phones since I was told that was part of my data plan.. and I got a $409 phone bill for last month?

Most of the text messages show up as this: 08/26 06:40 AM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 6KB

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I hope not... that would kill my plan. I've had v1 for a long time and never was charged like that. I just got my 3G so I haven't gotten my phone bill yet.

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I'm confused as to why DATA is showing up on the text messages list... it's just showing sent.. not received. I think it's for all the emails i send to a mobile number via my email...

And another thing I noticed.. I was e-mailing a friend who was on MetroPCS all day/night.. didn't get charged any data for that. But yesterday I was emailing a friend to a AT&T number and I was getting charged texts for that... now that's just ODD.

J17369

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Ah now I think I understand what's going on... I checked my full bill for last month, I used 206 regular text messages.. and 700 messages via, email/myspace, and whatever, but it counts them all as texts. You only get counted the texts in the regular bill, and the data shows up separate.

I don't know why they are all clumped together when you check how many texts you have left, and it's saying something like 150/200, when you've only actually used 25 texts.. and sent 125 messages via your data plan. So I guess we aren't charged for data messages then.

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
They had me going over the 200 texts, but corrected it when I showed them that they didn't count any of my texts for three months then said I was over. Your online bill should show all your texts.

Jim

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Wait...am i getting this right? Emails received sent are text messages? That makes no sense whatsoever. I pay for those 200 SMS messages. I don't want my email (which is supposed to be included in data) using them up.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I just called....email does not count as texts. It's all clumped together on the data usage online, but the number of texts that's shown is the actual number of SMS messages you have used (sent/received).

I specifically asked that question.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
unlimited text plan is only $20.....

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
seems worth it to me, not having to worry about how many texts you have left, that's all I was saying. didn't mean to offend...

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
seems worth it to me, not having to worry about how many texts you have left, that's all I was saying. didn't mean to offend...
Well, some of us cannot justify an extra $20/mo for unlimited texting when I hardly go over 200. I don't text much. It's annoying and I'd rather just call or IM.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Well, some of us cannot justify an extra $20/mo for unlimited texting when I hardly go over 200. I don't text much. It's annoying and I'd rather just call or IM.

I don't text a whole lot either, but what's annoying to me is having to keep track of how many texts I've used. I didn't get worried when I read the subject line of this thread, peace of mind..........I know they're there just in case.

I was just making a suggestion, if you don't like it then that's fine. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. No need to get defensive....

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I don't text a whole lot either, but what's annoying to me is having to keep track of how many texts I've used. I didn't get worried when I read the subject line of this thread, peace of mind..........I know they're there just in case.

I was just making a suggestion, if you don't like it then that's fine. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. No need to get defensive....
I'm not getting defensive, but the point is paying for unlimited texts is money in AT&T's pocket. If I don't use them, why would I give them the money? To say "just in case?"

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
yes, isn't that why you pay insurance? look, we have different opinions, let's just leave it at that.

have a good morning!