Un-Jailbreak iPhone?

danisgood

Aug 10, 2009
Hi,

I was wondering, how do you unjailbreak an iPhone. Do you go into iTunes and just press restore? I'm worried that I will loose my contacts, emails, photos, texts and my app's that Ive bought.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help,

Thanks

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Plug into iTunes, and sync. This will make sure all your info is saved. Then hit restore.

After the iPhone is restored it will ask you to set up as a new device or as a backup. This is completley up to you, if you restore from a backup you will have all your SMS messages etc from the sync right before the restore. If you set up as a new device then you will have to sync all your contacts etc again. You will loose all SMS's. However, anything you have bought will still be in your iTunes library.

I would always set up as a new device, although it can be tedius syncing contacts etc again, it ensures no jailbroken data that may have been saved in your back up syncs to your un jailbroken phone.

HTH

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't recommend restoring from a back up. It will leave traces of the jailbreak on the phone and has a potential to cause problems. Instead, restore to factory settings as a new device.

-Back up your contacts through a Gmail/Yahoo account in iTunes.
-Save your photos to the computer and then sync them on after your restore.
-Set up IMAP email and you'll never have to worry about that !
-Your apps will stay in your iTunes library and you just sync them back on after restoring (the same goes for music, ringtones and videos). Be sure to sync the phone in iTunes right before you restore so all your apps are in iTunes on your computer.
-Texts...they will disappear...sorry no way to get them back into the phone unless you jailbreak again
-You will lose your game and system settings. You will have to put your passwords back in for your apps and WiFi. You'll have to setup your email again.

I strongly recommend that you don't restore from back up, but if you decide to do it anyway, at least disable all of your themes first (especially your carrier logo if you changed it).

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I don't recommend restoring from a back up. It will leave traces of the jailbreak on the phone and has a potential to cause problems. Instead, restore to factory settings as a new device.

-Back up your contacts through a Gmail/Yahoo account in iTunes.
-Save your photos to the computer and then sync them on after your restore.
-Set up IMAP email and you'll never have to worry about that !
-Your apps will stay in your iTunes library and you just sync them back on after restoring (the same goes for music, ringtones and videos). Be sure to sync the phone in iTunes right before you restore so all your apps are in iTunes on your computer.
-Texts...they will disappear...sorry no way to get them back into the phone unless you jailbreak again
-You will lose your game and system settings. You will have to put your passwords back in for your apps and WiFi. You'll have to setup your email again.

I strongly recommend that you don't restore from back up, but if you decide to do it anyway, at least disable all of your themes first (especially your carrier logo if you changed it).
How do you backup your contacts through Yahoo email using iTunes?