(Un) Jailbreaking the jailbroken iPhone 3G

uchemp

Jun 11, 2009
I have a Jailbroken 3g iPhone I'm with AT&T and I want to unjail break my phone I want it back to as if I never jailbreak my phone in the first place. I was scouting out on iTunes on restoring my phone but I wasn't sure how that worked with the jailbreak. I like if I backed up the phone before I restored what would that do or if I didn't backup the phone before I restore. Im not sure what I need to do for this I want to start fresh with this phone again and maybe consider jailbreaking it in the future. any suggests would be great thanks for your support

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I unjailbroke my phone yesterday. I went ahead & backed up everything but then restored it as a new phone so there was no residue of my phone being previously jb'd

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Yes, essentially, you will do a restore in iTunes and set it up as a new iPhone. If you select the option to restore from a backup, you will most likely leave some trace behind that you had jailbroken your iPhone. For example, if you used SBSettings to hide the Stocks icon and you create a backup of your iPhone in it's current jailbroken state and then restore the phone from that backup, the Stocks icon won't be present anymore...

So just restore, set up as new, and resync everything on your computer!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Back up your contacts with a Google or Yahoo email account in iTunes. Sync in iTunes, restore to factory settings, sync your contacts, media and apps back on, reset your email back up and put your settings back.