Un-tethered v. Tethered Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by KabaModern, Dec 11, 2009.

1. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

If you have any questions regarding what a Tethered or Un-tethered jailbreak means, please read this first before posting any questions.

Tethered Jailbreak:

A tethered jailbreak ONLY applies to the iPhone 3GS and not all of them.

NOTE: I received an update that some iPod Touch 2G and 3G require a tethered jailbreak, too. The serial number trick may or may not be in effect (I have not tested it), but the logic and practice is the same.

A tethered jailbreak means that once your iPhone is successfuly jailbroken with blackra1n, you'll need to connect your iPhone to your computer if you ever need to reboot your iPhone or your iPhone loses battery charge.

What you'll see when you reboot your iPhone (if you're tethered) is the iTunes and USB picture. Once you get this, simply open up blackra1n and press "Make It Ra1n." This WILL NOT re-jailbreak or restore your iPhone, all it is doing is booting back up your iPhone for you.

You will require a tethered jailbreak if you have the NEW bootrom version. The OLD iBoot version was 359.3 and the NEW version is iBoot 359.3.2. There are a few methods to check which iBoot version you have.

Method 1 (Serial Number Method):

You can get a very good idea if your iPhone requires a tethered jailbreak by looking at the 3rd, 4th and 5th numbers in your serial number. If your serial number digits are "939" OR LOWER, you're safe. If you're serial number digits are "940" or HIGHER, you run a high chance that your iPhone will require a tethered jailbreak.

Some people are reporting that they've been able to successfuly jailbreak without having a tethered jailbreak with a serial number of 940 and higher. While this is rare, it apparently is happening.

Method 2 (Using DFU Mode):

Windows:

1. Put your iPhone into DFU Mode
    2. Right Click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager
    3. Select the plus arrow for "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller"
    4. Find "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver", right click and select Properties
    5. Go to "Details" and find "Device Instance ID"
    6. Scroll through the string and you'll eventually find the bootrom version (iBoot)
    7. If it's 359.3 you DO NOT require a tethered jailbreak. If it's 359.3.2 you DO require a tethered jailbreak.

Mac:

1. Put your iPhone into DFU Mode
    2. Open "System Profiler" and go to Hardware > USB (menu on left)
    3. At the top right under “USB Device Tree Panel” click “Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)”
    4. In the upper right corner look for the information “string on the Serial Number.”
    5. At the bottom you will find the description BootRom version (iBoot).
    6. If it's 359.3 you DO NOT require a tethered jailbreak. If it's 359.3.2 you DO require a tethered jailbreak.

Un-tethered Jailbreak:

This is naturally quite the opposite. You have an untethered jailbreak if you reboot your iPhone with no issues.

If you have any questions, please post them here or re-read this thoroughly before starting a new thread.

:)

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

Mods please Sticky this.
    Thanks

3. DocRawk

DocRawk New Member
    Bronze

Question for future reference:

Can Apple update your iBoot via a software upgrade? In other words, if I later update to a stock 3.2 or whatever version is next, will I risk updating the iBoot and screwing myself out of an untethered JB in the future?

4. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Absolutely not. The bootrom is a physical piece of the iPhone and cannot be accessed through iTunes.

5. DocRawk

DocRawk New Member
    Bronze

Awesome. Now I just have to not damage the one I've got...

6. mr.reggaeton72

Silver

your pretty useful around the forum, in other words, thanks, good thing i have a 3g..an my serial number is 942....

muahahahahaha >:)

7. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Seems a good idea, at least for the time being.

8. snurblet

snurblet Member
    Bronze

Good idea.

I put off updating from 3.0 because I was happy enough with the FW not to bother digging through the posts about this scary new thethered JB dealio.

I figured it out a few days ago, but belated thanks anyway. :)

9. tommysgs430

tommysgs430 New Member

unlock problem

I attempted to unlock my iPhone 3g 8gb on Dec 8th with blackrain and I can get it to show tmobile reception but it will not dial out or receive calls or texts..

I read on cydia that on the December 8th iTunes update may make the iPhone unlockable.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

I hope to solve this ASAP, I have started tmobile service already and the phone is not working at all.

thank you

10. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

This has nothing to do with tethered or untethered jailbreak. Please stay on topic.

11. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

I agree. Please start your own thread.

12. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Kaba, how do I get into DFU mode?

13. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Seriously? :D

14. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Seriously. Maybe I know and I just don't know I know, you know? Lol. My serial # is 948.

15. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Oh I thought you were joking at first. lol

DFU Mode = Hold down home and power button, when you see the Apple logo release the power button but continue to hold the home button. You'll get the iTunes + USB cord picture, you're in DFU Mode.

16. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

OK, I knew that but do it when I run blackra1n?

17. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

No blackra1n does it automatically for you. What are you trying to do?

18. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

I got a new phone today for poor battery life. My serial is 948. Trying to see the bootrom.

19. DocRawk

DocRawk New Member
    Bronze

Sounds like we're rowing in very similar boats. If the battery on the new one is as good as my last, tethered JB will do.

20. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot
    Gold

Oh. Yeah put it into DFU Mode and then just browse to it in Device Manager (follow my instructions on page 1).

Or, you can always just run blackra1n right off the bat and see if it needs to be tethered or not...