Unable to activate iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 11, 2007
Waited 24 hrs for a credit check, everything OK. Connected phone to i tunes, told me to wait another 24 hrs so rang 02, girl says everything is OK, wait 10 minutes then connect again, but i tunes keeps telling me i have to wait 24 hrs. Ring 02 again says she does not know why I can't activate phone, it could be an Apple problem. Rang Apple Help the guy says phone should be activated, tells me my phone number, tells me to switch the phone on and off again and it should be activated, but what I get on the screen is the i tunes sign with the plug that goes in the bottom on the i phone and an arow telling me to connect to i tunes. He says this is not right might be an i phone fault said he would get his boss to ring me within 24 hrs as he has never come across this before. After 3 days of trying to connect still not working. Any help please.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Waited 24 hrs for a credit check, everything OK. Connected phone to i tunes, told me to wait another 24 hrs so rang 02, girl says everything is OK, wait 10 minutes then connect again, but i tunes keeps telling me i have to wait 24 hrs. Ring 02 again says she does not know why I can't activate phone, it could be an Apple problem. Rang Apple Help the guy says phone should be activated, tells me my phone number, tells me to switch the phone on and off again and it should be activated, but what I get on the screen is the i tunes sign with the plug that goes in the bottom on the i phone and an arow telling me to connect to i tunes. He says this is not right might be an i phone fault said he would get his boss to ring me within 24 hrs as he has never come across this before. After 3 days of trying to connect still not working. Any help please.
If you're near one, take the phone into an Apple store and don't walk out until it's working. You've been messed about enough.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Yes thanks for reply think I will take it in tomorrow even though the guy from Apple said to wait for phone call first.
You're entitled to the place at the front of the queue. You should have had the phone working three days ago. They have no arguments left to suggest you wait any longer. Good luck.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
As much as I enjoy the iPhone, the activation process seems to be lacking. For the amount of money you pay for this device, it should be working when you walk out of the store. I said that back on June 29th and still say it today.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, the activation process can be a bit annoying and lagging. AT&T blames Apple, Apple blames AT&T. It's a round about thing. It took me almost 3 days to finally get my number ported over from Verizon though I suspect it was Verizon taking their sweet time screwing me like they like to do. I never had any issues it just took some time.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
From the carriers in the UK I've had experience with - O2 is by far the 'fussiest' when it comes to credit. Well done Apple! Boxing Day will be very exciting over here. Get ready for an influx of UK visitors looking for an unlock!

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My activation took 24 hours. The only reason was that AT&T (Cingular) somehow had me as a "Business" customer and they (AT&T) couldn't get it released for some unknown reason. Anyway, after that was cleared, the phone was activated, no problem and it has worked just as expected. I would stay on O2 more than Apple.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If your seeing this - go straigth to Apple

The iTune logo, the docking plug and and up arrow only generally means the phone is in restore mode - it should not be in this if you are only activating - The activation screen is slightly different (has these plus something else can't remember what now as it been a few days since I activated both a lock and unlock iPhone). You may have another issue here not an activation one - you have not tried updating (or downgrading) firmware, unlocking or something similar - if not this sounds like a defective phone

Nov 11, 2007
Finally got it activated

Thanks to all who replied to above post.
Took iPhone back to Apple store, they connected it to iTunes and said it was an 02 problem so went to 02 shop. the They checked activation and said it was an Apple fault. Told me to take it back to Apple and get them to replace phone. Apple store told me they could not change the phone as it had been activated but the iTunes does not activate it. Asked to see the manager who was very helpful and said they do not usually activate iPhones in the store, but I said I could not activate it so am stuck with a phone that won't work. He suggested with my permission he take the sim card out and try it in one of the demonstration phones, which worked. On checking the phone again decided it was a faulty phone. Got a replacement phone and all up and running and am very very happy now.
Brian Yarker