Unable to activate Predictive Text

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by galaxyman, Nov 17, 2014.

1. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

Hi all, I am unable to activate predictive text using Apple's stock keyboard (english UK). Each time I hit the globe icon the predictive text icon is off unable to be clicked on to green, please see screen shot. In settings I have predictive text icon on (green). I have a 5s running iOS8.1. I also have swype installed. How do I turn predictive text ON for the Apple keyboard? Thanks for any help. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416223998.040564.jpg

2. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

Try going to settings -> general - > keyboards and turn on predictive. If it's already on then turn off then on again. I had a problem previously where predictive text stopped working and turning it off then on restored it.

3. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

Thanks I'll try this again ☺

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I love the predictive text. After this last update it stopped working. I just did what you said. I went in to General - Keyboards and cut it off then back on and now it's working again. YAY!

Duh I didn't think of this myself. Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

5. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

No I have tried again and still not working, in settings I toggled predictive text to off, and back on again but when typing in messages or email etc predictive text is not always available!!!

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Try to do a hard reset and if it doesn't come right back when he iPhone restarts, go into the Keyboard and deselect (if Predictive text is still selected) and then reselect it again. If it's not selected, select it and see if this corrects the issue. Maybe a hard reset will help.

7. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

Hi Sharunda, no joy I'm afraid, did a hard reset like you suggest but predictive toggle will not stay green, oh well I'll keep using Swype, at least its consistent, usually!! thanks.

8. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Galaxyman, I think I figured out what's going on. You have the predictive text bar hidden.

If you see a short bar above the 'T' and 'V' keys, like this:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416535738.662540.jpg

That's the predictive text bar being hidden. At that point, you can touch the bar and sweep up, and it will open the predictive text bar up.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416535833.105391.jpg

Interestingly, before I captured these screen shots, if I pressed and held the emoticon key the predictive text toggle was off and grayed out, whether the predictive text bar was visible or not. But now, the toggle switch is green whether the predictive text bar is visible or not.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416535946.832089.jpg

I suspect that this may be something that Apple slipped into one of the recent updates. It was non-intuitive to hide the predictive text bar by sliding it down. Nothing indicated that it was possible. By adding the toggle, it is more intuitive, although pressing and holding the emoticon key to have the toggle switch be visible is also non-intuitive. Perhaps if you have third party keyboards installed you know about switching between keyboards by using the emoticon key, but the average user won't know that.

You may also want to try removing any third party keyboards to see if they are interfering with predictive text on the standard keyboard.

Hope this helps!

-rb

#8 RBNetEngr, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  9. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

Hi RBNetEngr thanks for your detailed response. I uninstalled Swype and tried a text again, seems like it's nothing to do with the third party app but myself, yes my stupid self!! If you noticed my very first screen shot showed no address in the To: field, after your response I tried adding an address in the To: field first and predictive text became available. Seems like I've wasted alot of people's time due to my ignorance. Sorry yo you but thanks at the same time. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1416598776.076819.jpg