Unable to develop connection on windows laptop using personal hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rugved1118, Dec 15, 2013.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hello,
    Am Unable to develop connection on windows laptop using personal hotspot. It recognizes my iPhone when i search for wifi network frm my windows laptop but then nothing happens.

Sent from iPhone5 using iCafe app

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Silly question, but did you select the iPhone's wifi network on your computer? And if you set a password, you will have to enter that in too.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

We would need much more information before being able to give any meaningful answers. Have you been able to connect to your phone in the past or is this your first time trying to use its personal hotspot? What cellular carrier are you using? Does your carrier need to enable the personal hotspot feature on your phone? What version of Windows are you using? Which iPhone are you using (I'm assuming an iPhone 5) and what version of iOS is it running? Are other devices able to connect to your phone? When you first set up the phone's personal hotspot did you enter all the information the phone requested during the initial setup? Is your phone connected to the cellular network when you are trying to use the hotspot feature? The personal hotspot feature uses WPA2 encryption, is the computer setup or able to use that method of encryption? Given more information we can probably get it going for you, good luck.

4. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Please mind your langauge. I am not so dumb that i don't know i have to enter password too. Henceforth, do not under-estimate the other person by using the word SILLY QUESTION.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Relax. He was referring to his own question as silly. You really need to calm down.

6. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Its really hard to know he was referring to his own question. The words he used was not grammatically correct. Anyways ! No hard feelings !

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

If it were a period after silly question, I could see your problem. However it was a comma so it make perfect sense to me what he was saying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

don't agree with you totally but no issues

9. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

His grammar was fine and I knew he was asking a silly question not saying you were asking a silly question. He was trying to help you as he has done for others. Before you slam a person for helping please think it though and try to look at what they are saying from different perspective. Many come on here looking for help and sometimes have missed the simple solution, I know I have done it and I have a strong background in computers or at least did.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

His grammar was correct. If you aren't certain of the intent, it's best not to assume the worst. When people don't list the common troubleshooting steps they have taken, we have to rule them out as the culprit. It doesn't mean we are assuming the person is stupid. It's just part of the process of narrowing down the cause. There is no reason to get upset about this. Keep in mind that jumping to conclusions and reacting like you did might decrease the amount of helpful replies you receive to questions you ask later on down the road. Please try to remember that we are all trying to help you here.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Well that escalated quickly.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

His grammar was fine but I'm glad there are no hard feelings.

13. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Yeah such things never take time to get escalated ;) no hard feelings to you all.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You never asked a question to begin with. You just stated your problem. I understood he was referring to his own question.

Sent using iCafe app