Unable to Downgrade firmware 1.1.2 to 1.1.1

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 29, 2007
AND YES I HAVE TRIED MANY DIFFERENT THINGS. I have searched and even used the guides on these forums. I have tried it 5x but I get the same problems.

Anyways I am using a MAC yes a MAC. Here is what I do tell me if I am doing it wrong.

1.Download iPhone1,1_1.ipsw (question: It comes in a folder and I compress, then convert to ipsw is that the problem?
2.Place iPhone in restore mode and connect to iTunes.
3. Shift click on firmware 1.1.1
4.Wait and I get the message..extracting iPhone firmware..preparing iPhone for restore..an unkown error occurred (1)?
5.I kick it up with indepedence and its still in 1.1.2.

I am speculating that I must be doing something wrong with the firmware as I have downloaded 7 different 1.1.1 firmwares from 7 different places hoping one will work, but so far no luck. I even tried the one from here.

Sep 29, 2007
that would be correct...
I hold the top and the home button for 10 seconds, and then release the top button and it goes into recovery mode? Isn't that what I am suppose to do?

and also meiPhone bill in a mac when you click compress file, does it not compress everything within it aswell?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
it will compress everything but the directory structure of the archive will be different. Don't know if this matters though
as for restore mode. After releasing the top button after 10 secs keep holding the home button for , don't know how long, just keep holding if for more time and then plug it in works for me that way

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
just release the top botton as soon as the screen goes black but continue to hold the home key until the cpu says it recognizes a phone in restore mode.. or dfu mode which ever it says then you can let go of it..

Sep 29, 2007
just release the top botton as soon as the screen goes black but continue to hold the home key until the cpu says it recognizes a phone in restore mode.. or dfu mode which ever it says then you can let go of it..
Ive done that 3x and I still get the first error. There is something strange I notice, usually when you do this you get a symbol of a connect to iTunes, but I just have this white screen. Odd or no?

I am going to once again,activate it and try doing what you said again. I usually count to 12-13 because I count fast and then iTunes said, iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode bla bla bla..and I choose iPhone 1,1_1_Restore.ipsw and I still get error (1).

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I always do the buttons with the phone out of the dock and then dock it . I must do one and put a camera on it to see how long I press stuff for. Keep trying different things.

Sep 29, 2007
I always do the buttons with the phone out of the dock and then dock it . I must do one and put a camera on it to see how long I press stuff for. Keep trying different things.
So far this is what I have done, I have manually placed it in restore mode without it connected and it went to plug into itunes- Failure

Manually restored with usb connected-Failure
Attempted to restore by clicking restore in iTunes and letting it put it into restore mode then attempted firmware 1.1.1 again and it failed.

I do not know what else to do but I think there is a problem with my phone.

Whenever I put it into restore mode, it goes into a white screen. iTunes reconizes it as a phone in restore mode but I am able to hold down the top button and the home button for 5 seconds and the iPhone will kick itself out of restore mode.

Am I doing something wrong to get it to this white screen? It says its in restore mode but this is unusual for me.

Sep 29, 2007
gotta put it in DFU the correct way
Yes I am trying that, I have tried 6x now in 3 different ways. I cannot manually put it in DFU and I cannot use iTunes to put it into DFU. I tried Independence but it doesn't work with 1.1.2.

Edit: Will it not work with iTunes 7.5? Or should I go to a different computer not on 7.5? I have tried it on both but same error.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
there are two restore modes. Do it with your eyes shut and ignore what you see on the phone and mac.
have you got another cable you can try? This crops up from time to time
this is quite common.

Sep 29, 2007
there are two restore modes. Do it with your eyes shut and ignore what you see on the phone and mac.
have you got another cable you can try? This crops up from time to time
this is quite common.
Okay I tried a new cable and I am getting the iPhone in DFU mode, but now things are worse. I am not getting the error but I am not getting passed "Extracting Software"

Sep 29, 2007
any error at all? If I was near my mac I'd downgrade a phone to see what I do!
I doubt its my computer, I just this 3 days ago so its not like it should be broken. Anyways this is what I have done.

Placed the iPhone into DFU mode, option click on restore and then select version 1.1.1 and it says extracting then it either stops there or gives me an error.

I didn't want to have to do this but I am going to restore to 1.1.2 then try to downgrade again. I am on 1.1.2 but maybe 3rd party apps are doing something?