Unable to get on WiFi Network

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Azarobi, May 26, 2016.

1. Azarobi

Azarobi New Member

My wife has an iphone 6s plus. We have a community gym with free Wi-Fi. However there is a pass code gate i.e. you have to login every time by entering the pass code in the browser. I’m an android guy through and through. I have absolutely no issue getting on the gym Wi-Fi. As soon as my phone detects the signal, it gives me the ‘Login to xxx Wi-Fi’ (see attached screenshot). I click on it, a browser window opens, I enter the pass code and voila. Hail Android.

My wife’s phone however is such a pain. It does NOT give any kind of prompt. The network SSID shows in the list, it connects with it when you click on it, but then nothing. It does not give any prompt for the 'login to network' or something. I don't even know how/where do those prompts show up in iOS. I try to trigger it manually by opening a webpage in safari hoping for the passcode window to show up, nothing. It keeps pushing me to connect to the LTE. I don’t know anything about iOS. Is there something I need to do? How do I get the phone to tell me it needs a pass code to get on that particular network?

Attached Files:

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Can she not enter the wifi in Settings? It should remain in her Settings and show when she gets within reach. She should not need to enter the password each time. It should show like this Xfinitywifi. Then tap on it. Toggle on "ask to join networks".
    [​IMG]

3. Azarobi

Azarobi New Member

Hi Ledsteplin. Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying. This should be the case if the WiFi network had a password setup just like wifi at our homes etc. Except in this case Its like a public wifi like when you go to an airport or a grocery store and whatever service is running their doesn't ask for password, it opens up a web browser where you enter whatever credentials are needed to use the service. That too can be a one time thing or sometimes not. This one is the later. It connects immediately, but asks you to login through the web browser every time you go there.

4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Some public wifis will not connect each time. Sometimes you need to connect manually each time. You should still go into the wifi settings on the iPhone and select it.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've had this happen several times over the past five or so years. Resetting my network settings has always fixed this problem for me. I have also suggested it to coworkers who experience the problem (unable to get the terms of use page to appear for the WiFi at work) and it has fixed it for them every time as well. Occasionally, forgetting the network will work, but not every time like forgetting network settings does.

6. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

WiFi connections like that dove me nuts as well until I figured out that after selecting the network in settings and connecting to it, they require opening Safari and you are then presented with a login screen that once you fill in the appropriate password and press enter you are then fully connected and ready to go until you have to reconnect to that network again. You then have to go through the entire process again. The part that drove me nuts is that only a few networks bother to tell you that you need to do that or even fewer that would automatically open Safari for you to login. The darn network admins assume that since they know what they're doing then everyone should. Rather inconsiderate IMHO!!

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've never seen this anywhere I've been. Wifi networks are either locked or they have guest wifi. No Safari stuff.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

One of the local hospitals here is that way.
    Was there a number of times this last week for a family member, and every time it would show it was trying to connect. Had to open safari and it would go the the hospitals log on page ( their rules for using the wifi, etc.. )
    I'd have to click on the log in button to be allowed access.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've seen this in a few places as well, though not lately.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We have a login page for the hospital's WiFi here as well. The terms and conditions page usually pops up within two seconds of selecting the network in the Settings app. If you exit the WiFi settings too quickly, you'll miss it and have to open Safari to access it. You have to agree to the terms once per day. A few times per year, I can't get the terms to show up. Forgetting the network doesn't alway works. Resetting my network settings has always worked.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do they have WiFi at your local hospital? They typically have terms that you have to agree to prior to usage.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Many government institutions that offer WiFi are the same way as are a lot of hotels/motels etc. I generally find it much easier to use the cellular network for Internet access as it is much easier to connect to and usually has a whole lot more bandwidth.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've encountered it a few times. Here's Apple's official document on the subject, which includes a couple of screenshots you can check out at your leisure:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204497

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I've seen it at many hotels as well.

It only takes a few seconds to log on and agree to the terms and it saves your data usage, so I always use it where available (unless it's really slow).

It's faster than cellular speeds a lot of times. The hospital I work at consistently has around 34 Mbps download and 94 Mbps upload on their public WiFi. Also, cellular signal strength is impeded in big buildings, so in certain spots you'll only have one bar or no service if you don't connect to WiFi. WiFi for Internet and AT&T WiFi calling for calls is the best option in big buildings like that since you'll have less battery drain and a more reliable connection.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They do, but I never saw any terms and conditions in Safari. McDonald's has terms and conditions, but it doesn't appear to be in Safari.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I haven't had to use one of these in a while. I forget whether the Safari app actually launches and shows you the Terms and Conditions website, or the website is rendered right there inside the Settings app. However, glancing at the page I shared earlier, it appears that it's a website rendered in a frame within the Settings > Wi-Fi screen, probably using Safari View Controller.

#16 Rafagon, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hospitals typically have specific terms and conditions that you have to agree to use their WiFi. They will pop up in the Settings app after you select the network, but it can take a second or two, so you might miss it. If you do miss it, you can access it by opening Safari. Did you agree to them in the Settings app or was it not required at all?

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've never seen it at ECM hospital. I just go to settings and tap on the ECM guest. The signal is not very good a lot of the time. But that's all that seems to be required.