Unable to join the network <SSID>...

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
Since this morning my 3g iPhone refuses to join my wifi network, it worked great since two months and nothing has changed on the router nor on the iPhone...

2 computers on wireless are still working flawlessly, only the iPhone has the problem.

Since I haven't changed any settings on the router I don't suspect it right now. I am using a custom SSID (not the default one), using WPA2.

I tried without luck the following :
- Power cycle the phone
- Reset the phone (home+power)
- Reseting network settings
- Resetting the router (power cycle)
- Full restore, with backup
- Tried other wifi (open ones)

I searched a lot, and nothing helped to date... I have an appointment in an Apple store (genius bar) as last resort... :oops:

EDIT: I've got it replaced at an Apple store, no easy solution worked. It was intermitent at first then wifi stopped working (always "Unable to join the network <SSID>..."). If you face that problem, stop searching for a solution, get it replaced...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
is your iPhone saving your network?

If so, try to "forget" the network... if you haven't already.

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
is your iPhone saving your network?

If so, try to "forget" the network... if you haven't already.
Hello, thanks for the reply.

It was already saved (from months of successful usage). I have tried to forget the network and then re-entering it, still "unable to connect to network XXX". As I said previously, I even tried to connect to a public network elsewhere and same behaviour... Weird...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
oh, so it doesn't even work on other networks?

in that case, it may very well be a defective wifi chip. Does your bluetooth work?

ILL16GB

Oct 17, 2008
If the iPhone is not connecting at any wi-fi then but I think that it's a problem with your wi-fi chip and Am sure Apple would replace it for you

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
Wow... everything back to normal this morning... It's like the iPhone was scared of being exchanged today. I still worry about what happened, there is no explications, I waked up, and just click to join my home network and it connected...

I'll go the my appointment to the Apple store today (genius bar) to see if the "genius" is aware of that problem, and if there are work around or fixes...

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Mine every so often will not connect to my home WPA2/PSK network (invalid passphrase). Usually requires me going in and manually selecting it; at which point it joins without complaint.

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
Mine every so often will not connect to my home WPA2/PSK network (invalid passphrase). Usually requires me going in and manually selecting it; at which point it joins without complaint.
It looks like a different problem to me. The main problem I had was that it simply refused to connect to any wireless network regardless of security settings (with or without security).

I searched a lot on this forum and other forums on the net and my problem doesn't seems to be frequent. I asked the "genius" at my Apple store which hesitated at first to tell me about frequency of a specific problem he saw but looked seriously clueless with that particular problem which he did not encountered at all. He said that typically (like acosmichippo said), the bluetooth is normally failing at the same time when there is a hardware problem with the wifi chip. In my case it has to be a weird internal software condition...

For your problem, I spotted during my quest for an answer to my problem something you might check. Ok, it may look basic, but it happens so often. Many wifi networks have the same SSID (like the default netgear/linksys etc) and often people connect at home and enter their security key, it work. Then going elsewhere where the SSID would be the same and trying to connect would reproduce the same symptoms you have. Often people connect to the "elsewhere_network" and returning home their connection fail for the same problem. As I said, your problem might not be related...

Hope it helped... ;)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I appreciate the followup, but no, my SSID is not the default. Your problem almost sounds like a problem loading a driver for whatever reason.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I had a similar issue with my first 3G iPhone. It would not want to connect to my WiFi or other WiFi's without me having to re-enter the SSID details all over again. I had the phone swapped for another issue and the second phone is completely different. It has no issues at all connecting to my WiFi or other WiFi's now. I think you have a dodgy chip on your phone. Take it in and get it exchanged.

Good luck explaining your issue to the Nerd Bar though. They will just ask you the infamous "Have you restored it" question. That is all they know about iPhones. But insist on an exchange if they give you any grief.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
to be fair, I bet most of the problems the Apple stores see
With iPhones can be corrected with a restore.

rilicic

Nov 15, 2008
It looks like a different problem to me. The main problem I had was that it simply refused to connect to any wireless network regardless of security settings (with or without security).

I searched a lot on this forum and other forums on the net and my problem doesn't seems to be frequent. I asked the "genius" at my Apple store which hesitated at first to tell me about frequency of a specific problem he saw but looked seriously clueless with that particular problem which he did not encountered at all. He said that typically (like acosmichippo said), the bluetooth is normally failing at the same time when there is a hardware problem with the wifi chip. In my case it has to be a weird internal software condition...

For your problem, I spotted during my quest for an answer to my problem something you might check. Ok, it may look basic, but it happens so often. Many wifi networks have the same SSID (like the default netgear/linksys etc) and often people connect at home and enter their security key, it work. Then going elsewhere where the SSID would be the same and trying to connect would reproduce the same symptoms you have. Often people connect to the "elsewhere_network" and returning home their connection fail for the same problem. As I said, your problem might not be related...

Hope it helped... ;)
The problem will return. I had the same issue with these popo up apearing. I have 2 network connections, at home and in my office. Is the same. In the beginning it was working normaly, at once these popo up window starts to apear, I tryed everything , like you without success. At once then it returns to normal work, it connected again to the network. These happened many times to me in my office and at home. Now again it is unable to connect. So the problem returns...

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
Solution -> get it replaced (Apple store)

The problem will return. I had the same issue with these popo up apearing. I have 2 network connections, at home and in my office. Is the same. In the beginning it was working normaly, at once these popo up window starts to apear, I tryed everything , like you without success. At once then it returns to normal work, it connected again to the network. These happened many times to me in my office and at home. Now again it is unable to connect. So the problem returns...
Yes a totally agree, I returned my iPhone to an Apple store and got it replaced, never had any problems since. If anyone else have that problem simply return it. The only drawback was my lost Invisishield...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Why didn't you take the IS off and get it replaced?

Yes a totally agree, I returned my iPhone to an Apple store and got it replaced, never had any problems since. If anyone else have that problem simply return it. The only drawback was my lost Invisishield...

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
Invisishield removal

Why didn't you take the IS off and get it replaced?
I was on the impression that it was lifetime waranted for any defect, not user removal ;) Because it cannot be re-used once removed. I really don't think it is covered by the warranty...

From their website :

The Lifetime Replacement Guarantee is simply what it says: If your invisibleSHIELD™ ever becomes scratched, torn, or damaged in any way while protecting your device, we will replace the invisibleSHIELD™ at no cost to you, for as long as you own your device.
Q: What does the Replacement Policy NOT cover?

A: Installation errors are not covered by the replacement policy. This includes bubbles under the invisibleSHIELD™ film, as well as incorrect alignment of the shield on your device. Please read the application instructions carefuly before installing your invisibleSHIELD™.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You missed this bit from their website:

What should I do if I need to send my device to the manufacturer?

A: There are times when you may need to send in your electronic device to the manufacturer for warranty repair work. If this is the case, we recommend taking the invisibleSHIELD™ off of your device before sending it in for repair. For instructions on removing the invisibleSHIELD™, please click here.

Once you remove the invisibleSHIELD™, please send it back to our office at the following address:

ZAGG Inc
3855 S. 500 W. Suite B
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

Upon receipt of your invisibleSHIELD™, we will send you a new invisibleSHIELD, free of charge, per our free replacement policy. Please note that the free shipping option is only available for new orders. For replacement orders you will be charged a minimal fee of $3.95 ($5.95 for laptop shields) for shipping and handling. (Sending your original invisibleSHIELD™ back to our offices will keep your Lifetime Replacement Guarantee intact).

I was on the impression that it was lifetime waranted for any defect, not user removal ;) Because it cannot be re-used once removed. I really don't think it is covered by the warranty...

From their website :

jeankalud

Oct 17, 2008
You missed this bit from their website:

What should I do if I need to send my device to the manufacturer?

A: There are times when you may need to send in your electronic device to the manufacturer for warranty repair work. If this is the case, we recommend taking the invisibleSHIELD™ off of your device before sending it in for repair. For instructions on removing the invisibleSHIELD™, please click here.

Once you remove the invisibleSHIELD™, please send it back to our office at the following address:

ZAGG Inc
3855 S. 500 W. Suite B
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

Upon receipt of your invisibleSHIELD™, we will send you a new invisibleSHIELD, free of charge, per our free replacement policy. Please note that the free shipping option is only available for new orders. For replacement orders you will be charged a minimal fee of $3.95 ($5.95 for laptop shields) for shipping and handling. (Sending your original invisibleSHIELD™ back to our offices will keep your Lifetime Replacement Guarantee intact).
Oh noooo! Too bad, its too late, but thanks for the info ;)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
No worries, I didn't know about it until someone else pointed it out also.

When I exchanged my first iPhone, I used this clause and just returned the IS full stop and asked for a refund. I got the Bodyguardz shield after that. I think it's a lot better than the IS.

Oh noooo! Too bad, its too late, but thanks for the info ;)