Unable to Sync iPhone 6, Need to Upgrade iTunes?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

qbansmokr

Oct 14, 2007
I recently upgraded my iPhone 6 to ios 9.0.2 and as soon as I did I cannot sync the phone to my MacBook Pro. The message I get is that I must upgrade to the latest version of iTunes. I am running OS 10.6.8 and iTunes 11.4. I really do not want to upgrade my Mac's OS in order to upgrade iTunes. The real issue is I have a friend that has the same OS and iTunes version as I do on his MacPro and his iPhone 6 Plus syncs no problem. He even has upgraded to 9.1! I don't know what to do so I can sync.
Please help.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
You may be able to fake the reported OS X version so as to allow your iTunes download and installation to proceed. But I wouldn't recommend doing this without first backing up your data in case something should go awry.

Tutorial: Change Mac OS X System Version

It is important to follow those instructions carefully and not make any mistakes.

I must emphasize that the safer option is to update your OS X to the latest that your machine can handle. And even then… those updates don't always proceed totally smoothly, as attested to by other threads here on eiC.

I have no idea why the same exact setup you have works for your friend on his Mac Pro and not for you.

Last edited:

qbansmokr

Oct 14, 2007
You may be able to fake the reported OS X version so as to allow your iTunes download and installation to proceed. But I wouldn't recommend doing this without first backing up your data in case something should go awry.

It is important to follow those instructions carefully and not make any mistakes.

I must emphasize that the safer option is to update your OS X to the latest that your machine can handle. And even then… those updates don't always proceed totally smoothly, as attested to by other threads here on eiC.

I have no idea why the same exact setup you have works for your friend on his Mac Pro and not for you.
Is there any one out there that has the same scenario as me, yet can back up their iPhone 6 to their Mac??
Mac OS 10.6.8, iTunes 11.4, ios 9.1
Any suggestions that can solve my problem would really be appreciated.