Unactivated iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by sandy1982, Sep 30, 2012.

1. sandy1982

sandy1982 New Member

Guys, i am planning to buy unactivated AT&T iPhone 5. Wanted to know if it can be activated and used on other gsm network. Just heard from some that thr is risk of phone not getting activated except legit AT&T sim. I know phone can be unlocked but to use, it need to be activated. Could you let me know, if i can buy and get it activated.

2. kiwee

kiwee Member
    Bronze

From my understanding all the iPhones that have been shipped from Apple are unlocked. You can drop any sim in there and will be fine. Once the initial sim goes in, the phone will be perm locked to that carrier.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it will work with any GSM network. You can buy a contract-free, full-price AT&T iPhone at an Apple store. After you get it home, you'll need to restore in iTunes. Since it is not tied to a contract, restoring it will permanently unlock it for use with any GSM network.
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/to-unlock-a-full-price-att-iphone-5-just-restore-it-in-itunes/
    The contract AT&T phones are locked to AT&T. You can buy an unlock on eBay for less than $10, though.

The Verizon iPhone won't work with GSM LTE networks (they are limited to 3G/HSPA+), so a Verizon iPhone is not the best option for the OP.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

The OP needs to be specific where on what network he wants to use the phone.

6. sandy1982

sandy1982 New Member

Thank you guyz for the reply - i have idea about the unlock on att and verizon, my only concern is will i b able to activate the unactivated phone of att, it shuld not get stuck on iTunes logo.
    I checked with unlock dealer and he said, phone wil get unlocked with imei # but chances are, phone not getting activated hence i wanted to know, if i can use any att sim n get it activated or i wil have to go to att store to make it work.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sprint phones come activated. Not correctly but they are assigned in the sprint system and attached to whatever line it was purchased on or upgraded on.

8. Amillio Patino

Amillio Patino New Member

to activate just grab a att sim and it should let you get past the activation screen.