Unbelievable... this is sad but I can't even put my phone into Recovery mode

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Well I have OFFICIALLY jailbroken my iPhone ver. 1.1.2. Cheers!

SCROLL DOWN. THE QUOTED PART IS ALL SOLVED.

Okay I'm reading Chris's post on how to unlock 1.1.2

This is what he wrote:

First thing you want to do is connect your iPhone to your cpu and hold the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds when the screen goes black release the power button but continue to hold the home key until you see a message saying that there was an iPhone found in dfu mode or restore mode..
I did exactly that. I connected to my PC, and held onto the home and power button as if my life depended on it for approximately 10 seconds until the screen went black. So far so good right?

Anyway, I let go of the power button and hold on to the home key for a good 5 minute. And nothing pops up! The screen remains black. I try again (power + home) and this time, the Apple logo pops up and it goes to the "Slide to unlock" screen (I don't know what it's called).

I did a bit of Google research and most of the sites said the same thing. Hold both keys until the screen says "restore mode" or something. But I still get nothing. The closest thing I got to a recovery mode was a picture of the iPhone connector jack that had a arrow pointing to iTunes.

Now whenever I connect the iPhone to the computer, Windows gives me a message saying "Could not connect" and something about malfunction. But the iPhone is working perfectly fine though.

----------------------
Also, seeing as how Chris is banned and he can't personally help me himself, I might as well post the rest of the questions I have

After you see that you want to hold shift and click restore and restore phone to the 1.1.1 software that you just downloaded.
What does he mean by "Hold shift and click restore"? Does he mean what it says? Hold shift and click restore in iTunes? And what exactly does this do? I've already restored my iPhone once and the update button says "Restore and update".

But even before I can start on that, exactly what am I suppose to do with the 1.1.1 software? I downloaded it and firefox automatically launched it with iTunes. I thought that iTunes iPhone software update would be 1.1.1 but once I restored (as state above), it didn't give me a error or downgrade my iPhone.
----------------------------
EDIT: Everything quoted above has been solved
----------------------------

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/Mikozee/?action=view&current=update.jpg

Once this is installed you will see installer on your home screen of your iPhone.. Click this and go and click all packages and scroll down till you see OKtoprep and click that and install it. A message will pop up saying you are ready to upgrade to 1.1.2.
At this point go back into iTunes and click upgrade and upgrade back to 1.1.2 this will take a lil bit for it to finish but just wait..
--------------------------------------

Well now i'm stuck on the underlined part. I installed OKtoprep and installed it. I plugged my iPhone back into iTunes but on iTunes, it's on the "Set up your phone" screen. I'm afraid to click anything here.

And on my iPhone, OKtroprep had a message saying "ready to install" so I clicked okay and at the bottom, it had a bar. The phone went into sleep mode by itself and when I unlocked it, the OKtroprep installation bar was gone! Now I don't know what to do... is it finished installing? (Highly unlikely since it took only like a minute)

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Okay I'm reading Chris's post on how to unlock 1.1.2

This is what he wrote:

I did exactly that. I connected to my PC, and held onto the home and power button as if my life depended on it for approximately 10 seconds until the screen went black. So far so good right?

Anyway, I let go of the power button and hold on to the home key for a good 5 minute. And nothing pops up! The screen remains black. I try again (power + home) and this time, the Apple logo pops up and it goes to the "Slide to unlock" screen (I don't know what it's called).

I did a bit of Google research and most of the sites said the same thing. Hold both keys until the screen says "restore mode" or something. But I still get nothing. The closest thing I got to a recovery mode was a picture of the iPhone connector jack that had a arrow pointing to iTunes.

Now whenever I connect the iPhone to the computer, Windows gives me a message saying "Could not connect" and something about malfunction. But the iPhone is working perfectly fine though.

----------------------
Also, seeing as how Chris is banned and he can't personally help me himself, I might as well post the rest of the questions I have

What does he mean by "Hold shift and click restore"? Does he mean what it says? Hold shift and click restore in iTunes? And what exactly does this do? I've already restored my iPhone once and the update button says "Restore and update".

But even before I can start on that, exactly what am I suppose to do with the 1.1.1 software? I downloaded it and firefox automatically launched it with iTunes. I thought that iTunes iPhone software update would be 1.1.1 but once I restored (as state above), it didn't give me a error or downgrade my iPhone.
First of all, make sure iTunes is up on your PC. Mik, are you running XP, Vista or MAC?

I'm on XP and am going to assume you're attempting a restore using an XP computer like I did (unless you state otherwise) so I'll explain it to you this way

Hold both keys count one 1000 2 1000 and so on...as soon as the screen goes black, wait like 1-2 secs then release the top power key and hold the circle button on the bottom until you hear the second beep from windows. Make sure you pay attention to your computer's USB connect sounds it makes while you're doing this.

Once you do this you'll see the computer saying it's found an Apple iPhone in recovery mode....iTunes will say that its attempting to connect with the iPhone...let it do that and pay attention to the indicators. When its done, it'll be at the upgrade/recovery screen. Hold shift, click recover...select the firmware you want to use to update (assuming you've downloaded it already and go from there...

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
First of all, make sure iTunes is up on your PC. Mik, are you running XP, Vista or MAC?

I'm on XP and am going to assume you're attempting a restore using an XP computer like I did (unless you state otherwise) so I'll explain it to you this way

Hold both keys count one 1000 2 1000 and so on...as soon as the screen goes black, wait like 1-2 secs then release the top power key and hold the circle button on the bottom until you hear the second beep from windows. Make sure you pay attention to your computer's USB connect sounds it makes while you're doing this.

Once you do this you'll see the computer saying it's found an Apple iPhone in recovery mode....iTunes will say that its attempting to connect with the iPhone...let it do that and pay attention to the indicators. When its done, it'll be at the upgrade/recovery screen. Hold shift, click recover...select the firmware you want to use to update (assuming you've downloaded it already and go from there...
Yes I'm using XP and it turns out that my description of the iPhone jack with an arrow pointing the a iTunes icon was the recovery mode. I've managed to get to it 3 times. The first two times, I didn't know (because the whole time I've been expecting a yellow triangle) and the third time (now) I notice on the bottom right hand corner, it said it said it was in recovery mode.

Now I'm gonna let luck take over and attempt to do the rest of the tutorial. I'd appreciate it if you can stay on the forums for a bit to help out if I run into any trouble.

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Yes I'm using XP and it turns out that my description of the iPhone jack with an arrow pointing the a iTunes icon was the recovery mode. I've managed to get to it 3 times. The first two times, I didn't know (because the whole time I've been expecting a yellow triangle) and the third time (now) I notice on the bottom right hand corner, it said it said it was in recovery mode.

Now I'm gonna let luck take over and attempt to do the rest of the tutorial. I'd appreciate it if you can stay on the forums for a bit to help out if I run into any trouble.
No prob Mik! With Chris on your side anything's possible! I'm just here to lend a helping hand! Actually I bricked my 1.1.1 yesterday by accident while upgrading to 1.1.2 and for a while I was in your shoes but I got everything back after a while and was good to go just like you will tonight! HAng in there, have patience you'll get it!

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
EDIT: Okay well I got up to the point where I installed "Installer" into my home. On the bottom it says "refreshing sources..." but it's stuck about 4/10 way there. Is this normal?

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
EDIT: Okay well I got up to the point where I installed "Installer" into my home. On the bottom it says "refreshing sources..." but it's stuck about 4/10 way there. Is this normal?
Are you on wifi when you connect to Installer? It will time out if you are just on edge.

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
No i got it fixed. The iPhone froze for about 10 seconds and and I clicked the power button. After a bit of delay, it finally went to the unlock screen. After that, I tried again and it worked flawlessly. Now only with a few steps left, wish me luck :D

tiguy99

Bronze
Nov 28, 2007
Chicago
Firewire he can't get to edge yet if he hasn't unlocked the phone unless he's an AT&T customer already. Assuming he isn't, he needs to get into installer to access the files he needs for anything

If it gets stuck, at this point, Mik, it should be safe for you to back out (keep pressing the bottom button) and try again. Like Firewire said, Mik, make sure you're running off Wifi and try again. It'll come up...sometimes its slow because a gazillion people across the globe are doing the exact same thing you are right now...so the server could be slowed down because of it

Bill Gates

Bronze
Oct 24, 2007
to restore keep holding the home and top button while plugged into iTunes till you get a pic if a cable and iTunes symbol. Takes about 20 seconds. That should work

Anyway, I let go of the power button and hold on to the home key for a good 5 minute. And nothing pops up! The screen remains black. I
I did a bit of Google research and most of the sites said the same thing. Hold both keys until the screen says "restore mode" or something. But I still get nothing. The closest thing I got to a recovery mode was a picture
message saying "Could not connect" and something about malfunction. But the iPhone is working perfectly fine though.

----------------------

But even before I can start on that, exactly what am I suppose to do with the 1.1.1 software? I downloaded it and firefox automatically launched it with iTunes. I thought that iTunes iPhone software update would be 1.1.1 but once I restored (as state above), it didn't give me a error or downgrade my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Once this is installed you will see installer on your home screen of your iPhone.. Click this and go and click all packages and scroll down till you see OKtoprep and click that and install it. A message will pop up saying you are ready to upgrade to 1.1.2.

At this point go back into iTunes and click upgrade and upgrade back to 1.1.2 this will take a lil bit for it to finish but just wait..

--------------------------------------

Well now i'm stuck on the bolded part. I installed OKtoprep and installed it. I plugged my iPhone back into iTunes but on iTunes, it's on the "Set up your phone" screen. I'm afraid to click anything here.

And on my iPhone, OKtroprep had a message saying "ready to install" so I clicked okay and at the bottom, it had a bar. The phone went into sleep mode by itself and when I unlocked it, the OKtroprep installation bar was gone! Now I don't know what to do... is it finished installing? (Highly unlikely since it took only like a minute)