Uncomfortable reaction to laundry detergent

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I'm usually a private person, but I think of all of you as my Apple Family. Well, the last week I have been suffering from the perfume/dye in the laundry soap that I used to wash my clothes. I've been itching constantly and have broken the skin in some areas. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a remedy to control the itching/pain. The solution is to stop using the laundry so the next time I do laundry, I'm going to use a non-scented laundry soap. I noticed if I wear anything that is 100% cotton, my skin becomes irritated. I use a calming cream called eucerin to help, but it only gives me relief for a couple hours. This has been going on for a week and I feel like my body has fire ants running across it. Any suggestions might be better than what I have tried.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It would be a good idea to see a doctor to get this evaluated and to get a prescription for the proper medication. Your doctor might give you a referral to a dermatologist or allergist.

Antihistamines such as Benadryl will help with the itching, but they cause drowsiness so it's best to only take them at night.

Adding a cup of oatmeal to warm bath water before bathing will help with the skin irritation.

Rewash the clothes twice that have the laundry soap you are allergic to on them. Use one cup of white vinegar the first wash and one cup of baking soda the second wash. Do not use vinegar and baking soda together. Dry them as usual after the second wash.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It would be a good idea to see a doctor to get this evaluated and to get a prescription for the proper medication. Your doctor might give you a referral to a dermatologist or allergist.

Antihistamines such as Benadryl will help with the itching, but they cause drowsiness so it's best to only take them at night.

Adding a cup of oatmeal to warm bath water before bathing will help with the skin irritation.

Rewash the clothes twice that have the laundry soap you are allergic to on them. Use one cup of white vinegar the first wash and one cup of baking soda the second wash. Do not use vinegar and baking soda together. Dry them as usual after the second wash.
I take Benadryl as often as I remember to. I also picked up some natural oatmeal bath treatment.

I'm going to have to rewash everything twice so I'll try the steps that you gave with vinegar and baking soda.

It was really hot and humid. To my surprise, I didn't have any itching. I'm thinking it's because of the sweat on my skin.