Undetectable iPhone 2G by iTunes, any iPhone gurus to give some advise please?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darylysm, Oct 9, 2008.

1. darylysm

darylysm New Member

I tried to upgrade my 2G jailbroke 1.14 firmware via iTunes when it prompted me that the 2.1 firmware is now available. Now the iPhone screen keeps showing the USB Cable --> iTunes picture. No matter how long i hold down the Home and Power off buttons, it comes back to that screen.

I used a 2nd PC and installed a fresh version of iTunes 7.5 then to 7.6, then to 8.0 again and none of those versions detected my iPhone either.

In all these cases, the Device Manager shows under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers my "Apple Recovery (Boot) USB Driver. That means my cable and USB port is fine. I tested it a diff iPhone cable and its the same result.

From iTunes diagnostics, i ran the iPhone/ipod connectivity tests and it said No iPhone/iPod detected. The iTunes Diagnostics then gave me the following info:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Dell Inc. Precision M6300
    iTunes 8.0.1.11
    QuickTime 7.5.5
    FairPlay 1.0.15
    CD Driver 2.0.7.5
    CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1
    Bonjour 1.0.5.11 (118.5)

iTunes Serial Number A6B6401864709F0B

Current user is an administrator.
    The current local date and time is 2008-10-09 17:30:39.
    iTunes is not running in safe mode.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

**** iPod/iPhone Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService 8.0.1.11 is currently running.
    iTunesHelper 8.0.1.11 is currently running.
    Apple Mobile Device service 2.11.32.0 is currently running.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers:

Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830. Device is working properly.
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831. Device is working properly.
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832. Device is working properly.
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834. Device is working properly.
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835. Device is working properly.
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836. Device is working properly.
    Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A. Device is working properly.

FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controllers:

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. Device is working properly.

Most Recent Device Not Currently Connected:

iPod nano running firmware version 1.3.1
    Serial Number: YM61438FSZB

iPhone running firmware version 2.0.2
    Serial Number: 87814B230KH

================================

Truly i m so lost now. What else can i try? To summarise my attempts;

1) I tried to reset by holding the two buttons for 1-2 mins... nada.
    2) I tried on 2 PCs and both iTunes didn't detect my iPhone
    3) I tried diff iPhone cables , no luck
    4) Both PCs Device Manager sees the connection under USB Controllers
    5) Cos the iTunes don't detect my iPhone, i cant even restore it unless there are other programs that can do that
    6) i tried iTunes version 7.5, 7.6, 8.0 and all do not detect my iPhone.

Anyone pls pls help me if possible. Thank you so much for reading.

2. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Have you tried using the iPhone cradle instead of just the USB cord? On earlier Jailbreaks when the computer was not "seeing" the iPhone. Some people found success using the iPhone cradle then putting the iPhone in DFU mode while mounted in the cradle.

I wish I could help you more than just this suggestion. Unfortuneately I stopped Jailbreaking long ago due to the types of problems you mentioned here. Good luck I hope you get it figured out. If you do find a solution to your problem (or if the Cradle method works) please post here. Your solution may help others experiencing the same problem..Mark

3. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

This is what mine was doing except my phone was seen after being connected for about 5 minutes. Here is what I did, and unfortunately, my story didn't have a real happy ending.

go to www.quickpwn.com and download quickpwn.
    Launch quickpwn and follow ALL instructions. During the install process, I suggest you uncheck the install Cydia and Installer options. This is just to gain access to the phone, and you will not need them.
    Quickpwn will close iTunes and walk you through pwn'ing you phone. Keep the phone in your hand, as there are a couple steps where you will have to hold a couple buttons here and there before it installs.
    After it's done, your phone will reboot and you should be back to the lock screen. Pay close attention to any error message you get. Mine stated that I cannot make calls and I need www.apple.com/support
    Unlock the screen. Check for signal. Go into settings and check your Wifi and BT. If the options are greyed out, then you are in the same boat as myself. Your communications card is fried.
    Now, if you are still within the first year of owning the phone, you can connect back to iTunes, restore the phone and take it in to Apple for a replacement.
    If you bought the phone 3rd party, or have past your first year anniversary and do not have Apple Care, you can see about buying a phone off ebay that has a cracked screen and then take a shot at replacing the logic/communications board ( its a combo) or... buy a new phone like I did, and sell yours on ebay.

4. darylysm

darylysm New Member

Hawk and Swagger, thank you both very much for the suggestions. I will try both methods right now. Wish me luck :)

5. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Not trying to be mean here but why should Apple be responsible for replacing an iPhone that the user "Fried"? I don't understand the logic behind that. Apple tells you not to Jailbreak and the consequences related to Jailbreaking. Anyone who Jailbreaks rolls the dice with their iPhone. Yet when the jailbreak screws up the phone. You feel that Apple should replace it? Such behavior only raises the price for all the rest of us consumers. I say, you screwed it up. You are responsible to BUY a new one or go without.

We wonder why the kids of today are so screwed up. Look at what we adults are teaching them. In this case not be responible for ones own actions. Everything in life has consepuences be it good or bad. The consequences of your actions (unauthorized Jailbreaking) turned out bad for you. Take responsibility and REPLACE YOUR OWN iPHONE. Apple did not sell you a defective product and should not be responsible for replacing it. You rolled the dice and lost. Take it like a man or woman and do the right thing. Mark

P.S. Hawk I am glad that you bought your replacement. Your post reads as though you would have chosen the Apple replacement had it been an option. Tisk, Tisk, Tisk.

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Down, Mark! Hehe, boy gets hype...

Normally I'd agree with you here, however this is a hardware issue... a fried communications board... not brought about by jailbreaking. It would have likely happened regardless of his software activities.

7. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Dave,
    I am sorry also but I must disagree with you Dave. We both know that software drives hardware. When you alter that software it sometimes causes the hardware to fail. Some software causes permanent changes that cannot be reversed thereforee driving the hardware incorrectly. If the OP had not jailbroken he or she probably wouldn't be in this situation. As I feel bad for the OP. I do not feel Apple should have to replace an iPhone damaged by the user...Mark

Dave I am so happy that we can agree to disagree in an intelligent manner :). Mark

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Totally, Mark.

I still stand by my belief that there is nothing you can do with a jailbreak that cannot be undone by a full restore (now, unlocking is another matter). Any hardware-related problems would have happened regardless of the jailbreak or not.

Normally, I wouldn't stress this idea, but see... there are folks on the fence about jailbreaking. Reading this thread will likely be enough to scare them not to do it. I am of the opinion that a jailbroken phone is a complete phone, so I hate to see people shy away for something (I feel is) unrelated like this.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. And again, it's been an absolute pleasure arguing with you, Mark ;) By the way... have you ever jailbroken?

9. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Dave,
    The reason I disagree with you is this. I have not seen in this forum or anywhere on the internet about iPhone's communication card failing for no reason. That is why I do not believe the iPhone hardware was defective. I am not trying to scare anyone away from Jailbreaking as I have Jailbroken in the past myself. All I'm trying to say is, if it gets screwed up in the process. Don't blame Apple..Mark

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Well, I don't believe that pwning the phone caused the problem. If anything, it allowed me to get to the home screen. Otherwise, going by "stock" standards, I would still be stuck at the Connect to iTunes logo.
    I was out of warranty anyway, but This time around, I am going to make sure that I buy the Apple Care plan before my first year is over.
    Jailbreaking has never been listed as a cause of anyone's phone to die. And my problems with weaker battery life and getting hot started happening before I jailbroke it. I simply think that the new firmware might have demanded too much power and burnt the circuits up. I would believe that the firmware probably covers both versions of phone, but I am willing to bet that the wrong firmware for communications was getting "pushed first" to address 3G problems, instead of it correctly identifying the component and updating it.
    Again, Apples to oranges..

11. darylysm

darylysm New Member

Heh... i do agree with Swagger that if you jailbreak the iPhone, your on your own. Right now i just wanna avoid buying a new iPhone because in my region (Singapore) we have to sign up a new mobile phone plan for 2 yrs to get the iPhone. Which sucks since i already own two mobile lines.

Anyway... the iPhone can be detected on my friend's Apple computer iTune 8.0. But he couldnt restore it for me and I wouldn't push him to downgrade his iTunes on my behalf since it wasn't offered.

So, the comms board isn't fried i guess. Its just not working the same on my PC, Windows XP. That same phone isn't detected by my iTunes.

I did go to WinPwn and downloaded winpwn_2.0.0.4 and iTunes 7.7.0.43 as per the websites instructions. But still no luck with iTunes 7.7.0.43 detecting my iPhone. Sigh...

Lost now... don't know what next to try now.

1) Tried the iPhone cradle as what Swagger suggested, no go still.
    2) Winpwn also no go cos iTunes cant detect my iPhone and thereforee Winpwn cant pwn my iTunes. The radio button on Winpwn that says "Use iTunes" is greyed out. Creating the custom restore file is successful but cant be used.

Thanks guys for the active participation in giving your opinions and suggestions. They are very well received n appreciated.

12. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Huh.... If your Friends PC is seeing your phone, then it's either cable, physical port or port in the hardware manager.

Test the port with a different USB device. If the device works, then it's most likely the Apple USB driver failing. uninstall iTunes, reboot, go into Windows explorer and remove the iTunes folder from Program Files ( do not delete, just move it somewhere else in case you need data from it later), and then reinstall the latest version of iTunes. BTW, I know that you can downgrade in 8.0.1, but it doesn't change the baseband.

If the port is failing with another device, try this. Right click on My computer and go to properties ( or go to system in the control panel- same thing), Click the Hardware tab and then click device manager.
    Look for any red "X"'s or yellow question marks. If it's a USB device, right click on it and select uninstall. Then right click on the name of your PC at the top of the list and select scan for hardware changes. If the port is working or can be seen by the PC, then it should show back up or go through the install process. If it's failing, then windows will not detect any new hardware.
    Either way, try connecting your phone and see if anything happens.

13. darylysm

darylysm New Member

Thanks Hawk. But unfortunately i have done all that you have just suggested with no luck as well.

1) I tried 2 different iPhone connecter cables. One from my friend which works with his iPhone on his pc for sure.
    2) I tried 6 different USB ports. I know my ports work cos they all detect my thumb drives, card scanner and blackberry connection cable.
    3) Device Manager shows under USB that an "Apple Recovery (Boot) USB Driver" is detected. And the pc does this beep sound when i plug and unplug the iPhone.
    4) I have uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled 5-6 diff versions from 7.5, 7.6, 7.7, 8.0 and each time i rebooted, deleted iTunes folder from My Documents\My Music\iTunes, ..\Documents and Settings\daryl\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes.
    5) Non of the items in my Device Manager has an X or red or showing exclamation marks.

Its amazing isn't it? Did i mention that its not 1 iPhone. Its two iPhones that i have in this same exact situation and both are displaying the same behaviour. Both iPhones are the same models, 2G. One was working, one got screwed. When i plugged in the working one, it instantly went into DFU mode as well n lost all data. Both iPhones arent detected by my iTunes.

This is becoming more n more impossible. At this point it isn't so much abt fixing the phones to save them but the know wtf is wrong with it that all known methods of recovery has failed. sighhhhh...

Thanks again Hawk. Happy to receive more imput and suggestions please.

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Have you tried uninstalling your USB ports and allowing Windows to redetect them?

15. darylysm

darylysm New Member

Wow.. didn't think of that one myself. Unfortunately i just tried it too and still no luck. Had to reboot but iTunes still don't see it.

Where's my shotgun?... Grrrrr!

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Last ideas from me, I think:

From add/remove programs, find "Apple Mobile Device Support" and hit "change" then "repair"

You also might try deleting all your device backups from iTunes, though I kinda doubt that will really do anything.

Last tip... try leaving your phone connected with iTunes on. For like, an hour if needed. You might be surprised.

17. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I agree. Mine took 5 minites when I started having problems.

18. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Have you tried uninstalling the Jailbreak software? It sounds like your problem is more software than hardware. It maybe that the jailbreak software is corrupted. Since you tried so many different versions of iTunes it is safe to assume the problem lies not within iTunes. You also mentioned that your friends computer is "seeing" your iPhone. I'm guessing your friend either doesn't have Jailbreak software on his/her computer. Or your friends jailbreak software is not corrupted (if he/she) has it I would uninstall the jailbreak software then force the phone in to DFU mode. From there you should be able to do a restore if this solution works. Good Luck, Mark

19. darylysm

darylysm New Member

Psylichon! You're da man! That did the trick and my iTunes now detect my iPhone again! Wohhoo... now to try to get the repaired n reloaded with 2.. Easier said than done. lol

Thanks you all for the help and suggestions..

"I love the whole world...
    Its such a helpful place ... "

20. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

This would be the FIRST TIME that a jailbrake permanently bricked an iPhone. Swagger is wrong. Plain and simple. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, his is just wrong.

Kind of like when he said the following STUPID AND RACIST comments:

Why is it that everyday in America. Black males are convicted of crimes (whether guilty or not) and people applaud the justice system for working? Yet on the other hand. The moment that SAME justice system acquits a Black man, then the justice system is flawed.

The only good thing about today's verdict is maybe now you can all SHUT UP about OJ! You have won a victory now please let it go. I don't see the press or regular folks going after (as in still talking about) Robert Blake who also killed his wife.

In closing all of you are nothing but a bunch of racist hypocrites anyway. The truth is white men kill their wife 100 times more than black males kill their wife. Secondly if you come home and some young cat is boning your wife and driving your Ferrari (Returning sun glasses, yeah right). Hell, you (or me) might kill her to. The only thing that has bothered you all, all of these years is that OJ is Black and Nicole is White.

Fred Goldman is so freaking pathetic (getting paid will not bring his son back) (Also why would I want to own the rights to someones image who killed my son?) just as is the Brown family. If Fred Goldman had of taught his son not to screw married women. He would still be alive today. If the Brown family had of taught Nicole to be a successful INDEPENDENT woman instead of spending someone else's riches. She would be alive today.

I did not write this to uphold nor condemn OJ. I wrote this solely to say. I respect a person much more that tells me (straight to my face) they hate me because I'm Black. What I don't respect is people that hide behind events and situations then truly expose their racism. Ok you all won, now PLEASE STFU already! Mark