Unexplained data drain

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dust lane, Aug 3, 2013.

1. dust lane

dust lane New Member

My son and I both have AT&T iPhone 5's and we both got notifications that we are about to go over our data limit of three gigs each. The problem is that no apps are running in the background and we have been on wifi almost exclusively. My other son and my wife have Galaxy S3's and the have used less than have of one gig. And we have been together ever day. Apple says to turn our data off and that will take care of it. Seriously? If that's the case, why not just have a flip phone. Anyone else heard of this?

Sent using iCafe app

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Two possibilities, 1. A mistake by AT&T 2. Your son or you have an app such as pandora, etc. draining your data and wifi may not be turned on or the app is being used while away from wifi. My guess is your son may be the culprit. (Providing its not #1)

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. I first want to welcome you to the forum.

Are you positive that none of your applications are running in the background? Although you close the applications, some may still be running in the background. They can be easily removed and fully closed by double tapping on the home button to pull up the applications that are still running.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Downloading apps is a biggie, as well. It is possible your wifi is switching off and your using data.

5. dust lane

dust lane New Member

We have been using iPhones off and on for a long time so I am pretty familiar with how to make sure apps are not running. The phones are both nearly stock with no streaming apps installed. I even completely turned off location services just to be sure. It is just the iPhones that are causing problems. I just had a galaxy s4 and I used less than half of one gig in a month. And I was out of town using data quite a bit.

Sent using iCafe app

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you tried to take your iPhone to your phone company (AT&T or Verizon) to see if they can figure out what may be causing the data drain? You can also find this out by contacting them over the phone and explain your problem/concern.

7. dust lane

dust lane New Member

I haven't had a chance to get to the store yet. I did check my bill and literally the day we started using iPhones, there was a spike in data usage on both lines. I sure hope there is a fix. I really don't want to go to Android or windows phone or blackberry but I can't afford to pay overages every month.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd let it go another month. It could just be a fluke. I average 500 or 600 MB data/month and have never exceeded 1.5 GB (even when I'm on vacation without WiFi). Yet a couple months ago, AT&T said I used 3.5 GB in one month. O_o My usage was the same as it always is and I seriously doubt I use anywhere near that much. Right now I'm halfway though a billing cycle and at 148 MB. It just doesn't make any sense that used several GB that month. I think it was an error.

9. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

You can check online the time of data transfers.

10. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

You can check with your carrier about this concern. Ask them if its possible to provide you details what caused the issue.
    Explain your side to them.

11. EvilSmurf

EvilSmurf New Member

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem! I am in day 9 of my billing cycle and am 700MG away from my limit of 3072! I have done everything AT&T told me to do, turned ALL data, apps, notifications off and am on Wi-Fi for 85% of the day and even with all that- I'm going through data like crazy! I even went to Apple last night and got my phone replaced and today with everything off, I went through 41MG. No one took accountability. I've done nothing different and yet I'm hemorrhaging data

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I get unexplained data usages on one of my 4 phones. Verizon has no clue. It's always on wifi for anything online or whatever uses data. Only calling and texting is done away from wifi. Here's 2 data usages over 200 mb each with no explanation. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1387553853.517223.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

13. Outtahand

Outtahand New Member

I had the same problem with a iPhone 4S and a 4 on AT&T. When you log into your AT&T account you can look at the details if your data usage, including the exact times of the usage.
    When I had problems, I found the phone was uploading data by itself between midnight and 1:00 AM every night.
    Tried restoring the phone, they replaced the phone, etc. but nothing helped.

I ended up terminating our contracts and switched to Sprint where I could unlimited data. Now no over-charges!

Sent using iCafe app

14. Bullgod

Bullgod Member
    Bronze

If you're using wifi you can turn off your cellular data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. da.meekster

da.meekster New Member

Check your data roaming settings and you push notifications.

16. LITE-WEIGHT

LITE-WEIGHT New Member

Make sure you and your son are actually connected to WiFi. If you see 3G,4G, or LTE at the top of your screen, then you're not on WiFi. You should see 3 little arcs like on my screen.

Also try turning off notifications.

And, don't download anything when your off WiFi. It can really stack up.
    [​IMG]

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Dust Lane hasn't logged on here since September 27, 2013, so he probably won't see this.

18. Merthod

Merthod New Member

Check connectivity options. Sometimes even though you're in wifi the phone uses the network connection because it's configured that way.

19. LITE-WEIGHT

LITE-WEIGHT New Member

You're correct Napoleon, but others will see this. Dust Lane isn't the only one with this problem, thanks for your concern though :)

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's required of me as a moderator. :)