Unimpressed with iPhone 3G thus far

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I had just recently made the switch from the V1 to the 3G iPhone. I have called Apple more in the last 2 weeks than I have my mother. All I want is a good phone. The problems I had had seem to be quality. The second day I bought the phone the silent/vibrate switch broke off. Now when I click the home button, it makes a bad clicking sound. A sound that was never made before with either of the phones. Usually I couldn't even hear the "click" of the phone, but not if someone were next to me they would be able to hear, and since I am constantly on my phone, I get very irritated with it.
So I am going to have to call Apple again. I am not ripping the iPhone at all or saying that it is a bad phone, I just want it to work!

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
From what i have read over the past few months, it seems all the problems people are having with their 3g iPhones, also have jailbroken them. My Gen 1 iPhone never gave me the issues i have read about.. as well as my 3g. both never tampered with.
Could jailbreaking lead to the myriad of documented software failures?! worth thinking about.;)

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I don't think so, my iPhone has been JB for over a month now and haven't had any real issues with it (besides lag).

Matt, it sounds like you just got a "lemon" iPhone 3G :(

the_monitor

Bronze
Sep 30, 2008
MA
I would take it to Apple for a swap. You can even mess with it and try it out to make sure it meets your standards before they give it to you. Im sure its just a fluke.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
From what i have read over the past few months, it seems all the problems people are having with their 3g iPhones, also have jailbroken them. My Gen 1 iPhone never gave me the issues i have read about.. as well as my 3g. both never tampered with.
Could jailbreaking lead to the myriad of documented software failures?! worth thinking about.;)
Not with the cosmetic issues he is reporting above. The 3G, while it certainly has bugs that can be noticeable with an unbroken 3G (like mine), has also had a long list of cosmetic issues.

my 3rd 3G that I am on seems to be opertaing within reasonable limits. Everynowandagain, the lag flares up, but overall I have not had any addition al issues (cosmetic, nor software or hardware based).

H

Hayesimus

crap. i had just talked myself into sidestepping(not upgrading) to the 3G. don't make me doubt myself!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Mine's been jailbroken for the past few months and no problems at all with it. I'm not having any software issues with it.

I recall somebody saying something like this about the physical quality of the 3G. Apple make so many 3G iPhones, that quality control is literally non-existent. When you have a dodgy phone, Apple will replace it no questions asked. Which makes you think that Apple has an amazing customer policy, when in fact they don't. They just mass produce so much crap, they can afford to just switch units over without worrying about it.

A bit like Ford, GM & Chrysler really. But it will eventually catch up with them and bite them in the bum! A bit like how Toyota, Honda & Nissan did.

H

Hayesimus

I have my eye on a nissan. :(

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I would take it to Apple for a swap. You can even mess with it and try it out to make sure it meets your standards before they give it to you. Im sure its just a fluke.
So if I go to Apple with my phone and ask them for a new one they might give me one even if I do not have Apple Care?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Has nothing to do with Jailbreaking my phone. I don't think I reported any software issues?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
K sounds good! Now I just have to drive hour and half to an Apple store! ahhhhhh

H

Hayesimus

I have my eye on a nissan. :(

H

Hayesimus

well... I posted it and them the safari app acted weird and when I went to break it asked me if I wanted to resubmit form. I clicked yes and the double post was the result LOL.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
K sounds good! Now I just have to drive hour and half to an Apple store! ahhhhhh
Make sure you do a restore, and also go online and set up an appointment with a Genius. You don't want to drive 1.5 hours to wait another 1.5 hours.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Make sure you do a restore, and also go online and set up an appointment with a Genius. You don't want to drive 1.5 hours to wait another 1.5 hours.
[Knock on wood] My home button appears to be back to normal, maybe I just need to break the button in a little. Has not made the sound in a 2 days!