Uninstall programs on the iMac

Danaldinho

Dec 29, 2008
UK
www.lilwaynehq.com
Hey, on Windows there is an add/remove thing which lets you uninstall programs, but on the Mac, it doesn't have this.

So to uninstall a program on the mac, do you really just drag it to the thrash (is it really that simple) or is the program somewhere else too?

Thanks

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I have been wondering this too. I have just been dragging to the tradi but it seems like I should be doing something else.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
As far as I know, you just drag it to the trash. I don't think this has changed.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, on Windows there is an add/remove thing which lets you uninstall programs, but on the Mac, it doesn't have this.

So to uninstall a program on the mac, do you really just drag it to the thrash (is it really that simple) or is the program somewhere else too?

Thanks
APPZAPPER for cleaner uninstalls

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am probably still leaving something on the system, but here is what I do. I right click on the program I want to get rid of,then click on "show package contents". This will bring up another window that says contents. This is what I trash. If you click on the "contents" folder, you will see other items associated with the original program. I don't know if simply dragging the program to trash does the same thing or not.

I am probably still leaving something on the system, but here is what I do. I right click on the program I want to get rid of,then click on "show package contents". This will bring up another window that says contents. This is what I trash. If you click on the "contents" folder, you will see other items associated with the original program. I don't know if simply dragging the program to trash does the same thing or not.
This is a good way to do it, though I'm not sure whether it makes a difference if you open up its package contents, because i thought dragging the app's icon directly into trash would already include all of its package contents. I don't think there is another better way to do it, though AppZapper does look promising, but it does cost you money.