Uninstalling iPhone 4 (redsnow) jailbreak, please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by abesoddessey, Feb 9, 2011.

1. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

Hello, I have got an iPhone 4 with iOS4.2.1 and a few days ago I decided to (tethered)jailbreak it using redsn0w 0.9.6b6... However, since then it has developed a fault with the mic where nobody can hear me. I decided to uninstall the jailbreak by going to iTunes and clicking restore as a lot of forums have advised. iTunes then proceeds to extract the files but when it gets to the verifying part it wont do it. It says it has encountered an unknown error and thats it. I was planning on taking my phone back to the shop and swapping for another as im still under warranty but I need the jailbreak to be gone. I have read somewhere that putting it into DFU mode could help but I have to boot using pc so I don't know if this is possible. when I installed cydia I did click on the 'make my life easier' option. please help me! pleeeeaaase!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here are a few things to try: Delete the ipsw (firmware file) and redownload it. Make sure you antivirus is temporarily disabled. Use a new USB cord and a different USB port. Try restoring on a different computer. If iTunes doesn't recognize the phone, put it in DFU mode. Uninstall WiFi Sync on your computer (if you use it). If you cannot get it restored, Apple will replace it. I've seen plenty of people here that got them replaced when they were stuck at the boot logo (even though they were jailbroken).

3. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

I've tried a new cord and USB port but still getting the same error. Where are the ipsw files located? iTunes is recognizing my phone but it just wont let me verify it. Also do you have any idea on how to put it in DFU mode as I have tethered jailbreak and need to boot off pc.

4. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

Almost forgot my manners... Thankyou!

5. d4k4

d4k4 Member
    Bronze

When you're on iTunes don't click on the restore button but press SHIFT + Restore button and it will open up a dialog box and look for the ipsw file that you need to restore from.

6. Dj101

Dj101 Member
    Bronze

i was having the same problem.....so i put the greenpois0n j/b over the redsnow...and then,for some reason,it worked

7. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

jailbreaking is not for everyone!

I only did the jailbreak on Sunday mainly for the five icon dock and I only did it because it said its easy to restore. I cant find any ipsw files other than the one from pwned and that doesn't work either. I will go to my friends and give it a go off their pc. If that doesn't work is there any way to brick the phone so it doesn't work(Apple cant open it) so they have to exchange it? im worried now!

8. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

I'm sorry for being such a noob but how do I do this?

9. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

I'm sorry for being such a noob but how do I do this? ​

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

When you try to restore the phone, do you get an iTunes error message i.e 1013, 1015 etc etc.

11. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

Yes it says 'The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)'. Iv tried it on a different pc and it still doesn't work.same error number.

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Are you trying to downgrade to an older firmware?

You may need to download the stock 4.2.1 firmware file. You can download the firmware here: http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9858.20101122.Er456/iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

^This is a direct link, it should download relatively quick depending on your Internet connection. Don't use Internet Explorer to download the .ipsw, use Firefox or Chrome.

When you've downloaded the file, drag it onto your desktop. Then with the phone plugged in, press the restore button whilst holding down the shift key. You will now see a new window, browse for the .ipsw file you dragged onto the desktop and press enter/select.

The phone should now restore.

The error you are getting has something to do with how the firmware is signed. You cannot update or downgrade to firmware which isn't signed for by Apple anymore - unless you pressed make my life easier in Cydia or used Tiny Umbrella.

Let me know how you get on, remember to post any iTunes errors you see as well, this will help us to help you.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That error code indicates that there is a problem with your Hosts file or your security software is blocking the verification. Did you disable your antivirus/firewall or try restoring on another computer like I suggested earlier? You're trying to restore to 4.2.1, right?

If that doesn't work, we'll take a look at your Hosts file. You'll want to comment out Saurik's server address if you edited the file so you could restore to old firmware in the past.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If he/she has updated iTunes, the hosts file will be back to it's original state.

15. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

no im just trying to get rid of the jailbreak, ive done exactly what you have said and its still the same.iv turned off firewall and security and still getting the same error message. i did click on make my life easier but seriously that seems to be a bit of a lie as this is not very easy at all and wont restore even though i pressed it.

16. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

I have not updated iTunes, It says I am using the current version so cant update it. I also don't know how to look at my hosts file. Do you think I would be better off taking it to a pc repair shop as I think i'm in over my head with this. thanks for your help guys.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I suggested disabling the security software and restoring on another computer first. I don't think the Hosts file is the problem. It would just be something to look at once the other things are ruled out.

18. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Download this hosts file here.

Then overwrite the old one with the one you've downloaded. Restart iTunes and restore your phone.

Edit: You may or may not get a 1015 error.

19. abesoddessey

abesoddessey New Member

i had installed five icon dock, could this be the reason it wont restore? iv uninstalled five icon dock now and i will give it another go then report back with the results...fingers crossed!

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

It wont have anything to do with Five Icon Dock. Do you have RecoveryGuard installed?