Unique situation on getting the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Greetings all. This is my first post on here even though I've been reading for about a week now. I plan to get this phone and will. But I am in the military and currently serving in the middle east. I want to get this phone on launch day but its hard to get it online with the time differences and all. And obviously I can't wait inline as there are no Apple stores here haha. Anyway, if I somehow do get lucky enough to snag one online will I have to activate it that day or can I wait till I get back so that sweet little thing will be waiting for me when I get off the bus and drop my bags. right now my AT&T account is on freeze until I get back to the states and I really don't want to re-activate just to make sure I have it when I get home. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Edit: That really didn't make sense to me. My question simply is....if I buy online, do I have to activate immediately, or can I buy and continue to hold my account until August when I return.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
First of all thank you for everything you are doing over there.

Second,

You should be able to have it waiting for you when you get back. Everything I have heard is that whether you buy it from a actual Apple store or online that you will have to go into ATTingular to get it activated. So in theory you should be able to buy it then take it in and activate it when you get a chance. But I would have one of your parents or friends call the local stores and get there opinions.

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Hey lips and rebelace! thank you for the thank you...it means a lot. But sometime when we don't have much to do the downtime just gets to you so I research the iPhone! I get home in August and my first plan is to lay in my bed for about an hour. Then get up and drive down to Apple if I don't already have one waiting for me and get my phone..then hit the beach and a few bars! But I'm just looking forward to getting home. It hit in the 120s yesterday and in full uniform with body armor and a helmet carrying all your stuff its horrible but hey it pays the bills. But thanks for the replys guys.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
Hey lips and rebelace! thank you for the thank you...it means a lot. But sometime when we don't have much to do the downtime just gets to you so I research the iPhone! I get home in August and my first plan is to lay in my bed for about an hour. Then get up and drive down to Apple if I don't already have one waiting for me and get my phone..then hit the beach and a few bars! But I'm just looking forward to getting home. It hit in the 120s yesterday and in full uniform with body armor and a helmet carrying all your stuff its horrible but hey it pays the bills. But thanks for the replys guys.

My buddy just got back not to long ago he is a marine. He has told me some of the stories its pretty rough. Hang in there man and stay alert. And don't the news get to you there are still good people in America who care for our troops man.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
My opinion if your not comming back until Aug would just be to wait. Im sure there will be no trouble just walking into a store and grabbing one then.

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
yeah that would be the best bet....problem is though I'm really really impatient. Oh well tho I may just have to learn..

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Welcome to EiP!

Thank you for serving our country! Thank you for the courage! May God bless you! =]

If they don't let you, just give them some sob story about being in the military and see what happens. =P =]

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Ahactor, thanks for the reply. But I choose not to use my occupation to get me special treatment. Thats like Paris Hilton gettin out of jail early because she's a celebrity. Often when I'm flying in uniform i'm always offered a first class seat when I have a coach ticket but I never accept just because I paid the same amount as the guy next to me. I guess just a pride thing. But thanks for the reply.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Ahactor, thanks for the reply. But I choose not to use my occupation to get me special treatment. Thats like Paris Hilton gettin out of jail early because she's a celebrity. Often when I'm flying in uniform i'm always offered a first class seat when I have a coach ticket but I never accept just because I paid the same amount as the guy next to me. I guess just a pride thing. But thanks for the reply.
Haha, I was just kidding. I totally agree with you though. That's great that you see it that way. That is very noble of you, and not prideful at all! =] However, you may get paid just as much as the guy next to you, but he isn't risking his life for his country, and that's the bottom line. =]

ash

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Oklahoma
Hello! My husband is also returning in August from a one-year deployment. Good luck and I hope the next month and a half go quickly for us both!

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Geez a one year is harsh. My father served a 18 month rotation here. Luckily for me my branch only does 120 day rotations. I work with a bunch of Army who hate me because they are here for 15 months and I am here for 4. Gotta love the Air Force!

ash

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Oklahoma
I actually just separated from active duty Air Force and switched to the Reserves and my husband is Army so we have lots of great Army vs. AF discussions! I keep awaiting to get my notice to deploy. Hopefully I can put it off awhile longer. (At least until I get my iPhone!)

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Yeah my dad retired from 28 years active army. So when i'm on leave its a battleground in out dining room. good entertainment. What was your AFSC?

Roman

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
yeah hawaii is really roughing it. I'm stuck in Dover for now and its my first duty station. My contract is up soon and I doubt I'll ever get orders. We have one TSgt who's been there for 13 years and still cant get orders and I think I'm probably his protoge for never gettin orders. Its due to the fact of the job. I'm aircraft maintenance and there's only a few of us that are proficient and these new upgraded versions of the planes. So if I don't get orders here in the next year I'm seperating and going reserves.