Universal Remote

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
Has anyone brought an app yet that turns your phone into one of those universal remotes that allow you to turn your tv, radio, hi fi and other stuff on off, change channels, volume etc?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Without the iPhone having a IR lens, how do you expect this will work? The Apple remote app really works over WiFi.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Check out intelliremote in the app store. That can do it. I use it for all my AV equipment. You'll need an IR transmitter connected to your PC. Search for USBIRT.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
While this is a decent idea in Theory, it's not very practical. My PC is on the second floor of my house, and my entertainment center is down on the first floor.
Buying this app would cost a LOT more than just the very high app price, since I would need to run a USB extension cable about 100 feet and then buy the iR transmitter as well.
Like I said, good idea in theory, but NOT practical. ( unless you can make the screen flash a powerful iR pulse at whatever device you are trying to control, and we know that's not possible)

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Why not use one of those IR RF transmitter things instead of running a cable?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I tried something along these lines years back with my Treo. Novii Remote was not a very good app the usability was poor at best. On a related note, I jumped back into the world of unified remotes with the Harmony One which was on sale at Dell. It's pricey, but man it works great and doesn't leave me wishing I was using the TiVo peanut (which I still believe to be the best remote on the market). The Harmony 550 is also well reviewed, but without the bells and whistles.

The Harmony One allows you to customize the screen with you favorite television channel icons.

Last edited:

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I have a Harmony 895, which is a great remote. However, the beauty of the Intelliremote app for iPhone is that it supports AutoIt scripting so there's no limit to what you can do with it. I also have it operating X10 devices to control lights, garage door etc, all from my iPhone!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have this one. It is completely programmable with macros and "punchthru" buttons. You can't beat the price on it. You can get it for this price almost anywhere online:

Last edited by a moderator:

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
I have this one. It is completely programmable with macros and "punchthru" buttons. You can't beat the price on it. You can get it for this price almost anywhere online:
It says its no longer available on that website.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
LOL, why am I not surprised to see the Spice channel on the "his" screen? :p

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
LOL, why am I not surprised to see the Spice channel on the "his" screen? :p
Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Spice, Playboy, and cinemax. (And ABC for the family...HA!)

On a relevant note, I bought my husband one of these (harmony 880) for valentines day, and it stopped charging after only using it maybe six months......

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
because the iPhone doesn't emit a usable RF signal for remote control.
Correct!

That's the purpose of the Intelliremote app used in conjunction with the USB-UIRT.

The IR extender would extend the output of the USB-UIRT to cover a 'through walls' situation.

The iPhone doesn't need IR output for this to work, hence the replies to this thread.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Is there an app that would allow you to turn off lights in your house from you phone? Or am I just being too unrealistic now?
As cool as that would be, it doesn't exist at this point.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I use X10 Commander (search app store) to control lights and appliances and open/close my garage door from my iPhone.

It allowsbypir iPhone to talk to X10 home control devices. Really simple and works great.