University Connection

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
Maybe this has been addressed before, but I am not having any luck accessing my school's wifi connection on my iPhone. Everyone I know can do it on their laptops! In order to use the wireless connection you need to login - standard school id and password, but why wouldn't this work on the iPhone? Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Thanks.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So you're saying that you can see the signal, but cannot log into it?
Normally, WiFi only requires the encryption key to get into a secure network.
In other instances, a webpage would require a login.
If you are getting the WiFi to connect, but cannot go anywhere with it...close and open Safari again and see if it takes you to the log in.
If this is something that is not letting you even establish the connection to the WiFi Signal, then I suggest asking someone else to show you how they are doing it on the laptop and at what point that are being prompted for the login info.

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
So you're saying that you can see the signal, but cannot log into it?
Normally, WiFi only requires the encryption key to get into a secure network.
In other instances, a webpage would require a login.
If you are getting the WiFi to connect, but cannot go anywhere with it...close and open Safari again and see if it takes you to the log in.
If this is something that is not letting you even establish the connection to the WiFi Signal, then I suggest asking someone else to show you how they are doing it on the laptop and at what point that are being prompted for the login info.
Thanks for the response. I do infact get routed to an actual webpage where it asks for my student id and password, but maybe something is different on the iPhone that it won't let me have access to network? Maybe I am just an idiot and putting in the wrong user id...I'll ask some friends. Thanks.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for the response. I do infact get routed to an actual webpage where it asks for my student id and password, but maybe something is different on the iPhone that it won't let me have access to network? Maybe I am just an idiot and putting in the wrong user id...I'll ask some friends. Thanks.
This is the same way my school's wifi is. It wouldn't work for me at first either. I had to open safari and wait for the page to fully "try to load" and then once it was done I had to hit refresh and then it would load the login page. Also, you have to be really careful with the passwords because if it's case sensitive it's difficult to make sure you got it right on the iPhone. I had to try my password 4 times before it finally worked.

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
Success tonight! I entered ID and password in each box and would always hit "Go." Tonight, however, I clicked "Done" and then taped on "log in" on the actual page. Why this happens I don't know - but at least I can access the network now. Thanks.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Success tonight! I entered ID and password in each box and would always hit "Go." Tonight, however, I clicked "Done" and then taped on "log in" on the actual page. Why this happens I don't know - but at least I can access the network now. Thanks.

I've noticed the same thing on some password protected sites. I actually now just hit done and then "Login" because I got several "wrong ID" errors and such. Glad you got everything up and running!

alijahed

Oct 9, 2007
Similar Problem

My school and my workplace both have wifi and all it takes to get on the wifi is the web page that pops up from the server and then you click on the link from the web page and your good to go . but sadly unlike my laptop the iPhone doesn't take me to that page to activate the internet ! what can i do?