Unjailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by robinhooddaffy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. robinhooddaffy

Bronze

I jailbroke my iPhone 3gs. Not doing anything with it so want to unjailbreak. cydia shows 4.0.1 I have not downloaded 4.0.2 yet. Can I just hit restore back to original configuration or will this brick the phone. Just wipe out and start over. Or do I need to get the file and use that to restore. Not technically brilliant....sorry for the goofy question.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can restore to factory settings or from backup on 4.0.1. That firmware file (ipsw) is already on your computer. Hit the shift key (option key on Mac) and then the restore button and browse for the ipsw. As of yesterday, Apple was still signing 4.0.1. If you get an error message saying that you're inelligible for that firmware build, you'll need to modify the Hosts file on your computer so it redirects from Apple to Saurik's server. I can give you directions for that. Just let me know if you're on a Mac or a PC.

Firmware file location:
    On Windows:
    Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
    On Mac:
    ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

3. robinhooddaffy

Bronze

one more question..........

If I install the 4.0.2 software and my phone is still jailbroken, what happens? Will I have a lovely expensive paperweight, or will it just go to being unjailbroken?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Installing 4.0.2 will remove the jailbreak.

5. alpine3g

alpine3g Member
    Bronze

I get the inelegible message, can you post instructions on how to point iTunes to Saurik's server. Im on a Mac.

6. samizm

samizm New Member

How do I reset my jailbroken iPhone 4 back to it's former self? And also will Apple store replace my phone as the main button needs a few presses before the menu shows,sometimes menu screen doesn't show either

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

With the phone plugged in, launch iTunes and click restore. Once the phone has restored, you will
    He prompted to restore from backup or set up as new - make sure you hit set up as new phone.

The iPhone will now be clear of any past jailbreak. Apple should replace the phone if there is a problem with the hardware.

8. Mimut Rice

Mimut Rice Member
    Bronze

My iPhone is currently on 4.3.2 and jailbroken. I am having some issues with it and want to restore to factory settings and then transfer my info back to it. I am not sure if I am going to jailbreak again in the future or not.

Can i just do a restore and update via iTunes or do i have to use tiny umbrella?

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you want to restore the iPhone to stock firmware, hit the restore button in iTunes.

Tiny Umbrella is used for saving ECID SHSH blobs and for downgrading with ease.

FYI - If you restore, iTunes will download the lasted iOS which is 4.3.3 and install that on the device. 4.3.3 is jailbreakable :)

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

All I can say now since iPhonewarrior took this thread over is.. I hope you come back to the Jailbreak world!

11. Mimut Rice

Mimut Rice Member
    Bronze

Ok cool! Thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure before I hit that button. I am cool with the upgrade to 4.3.3, I just wanted to make sure I was doing it properly so I don't brick my iPhone.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

If you have bad luck like I do, you will brick your phone. Back a few updates ago, I used to have issues with bricking my iPhone when I just use the "Restore" function.

Will you return to the Jailbreak world in the future?

13. Mimut Rice

Mimut Rice Member
    Bronze

Its possible... My phone was just running REALLLY slow since I jailbroke it and I wanted to start fresh and go from there.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's strange. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've heard of people with iPhone's running super slow. It all really depends on how much you have running at the time. Using "SBSettings" you can remove Processes that are currently running.

There are programs to increase your phone speed when opening stuff, but in my opinion that made it to fast for me.

15. Mimut Rice

Mimut Rice Member
    Bronze

Yeah I did that and it was still sluggish. So I am going to restore and see if that fixes it. My phone was running slow before I did the JB so I don't think the JB had anything to do with it. I should have started fresh when I did the JB and then added all my stuff on there but didn't think about it til after.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hopefully it gets all fixed for you. Let us know.

17. Mimut Rice

Mimut Rice Member
    Bronze

I sure will! Thanks again for the help :D

18. Joe J-coney Iacona

Joe J-coney Iacona New Member

Hey I just jailbroken my iPhone I need help to unjailbreak it because I've experienced some bs with the jailbreak, any comments would be helpful...

19. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Connect your phone to your computer, open iTunes and click on your device, click Restore.

What problems are you having? If you restore your device you'll be forced to update to the latest firmware which doesn't have an untethered jailbreak. Make sure you don't want the jailbreak before you restore.

What firmware are you currently on?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Since you're not on the current firmware, you can just hit the update button in iTunes. It will be a little faster than restoring and it will remove the jailbreak just like restoring will. Your settings, apps, media, and data will all still be there when it's done.