unknown name

galaxyE

Oct 3, 2007
When making a call from my iPhone the recipent's caller ID shows my number but not my name. How do you get your name to show up?

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
When making a call from my iPhone the recipent's caller ID shows my number but not my name. How do you get your name to show up?
Does the recipient have both your name and phone number in their contact list?

galaxyE

Oct 3, 2007
Does the recipient have both your name and phone number in their contact list?

No, but with my last cellphone my name and number would show up even though I wasn't on a contact list. Guess I never really thought about it before, but what are the requirements for a name to show up in someone's caller ID? THX

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It depends on the arrangements between AT&T and the local carrier. For starters, no cell carrier that I know of displays caller ID with name, landlline carriers do that.

The name is never sent with the caller ID number, and must be looked up. AT&T charge telcos for this database dip. If the local telco doesn't have an agreement with AT&T, or doesn't want to pay AT&T, calls from AT&T cellphones will not display the name. My local carrier does have an agreement with AT&T so calls from my iPhone to landlines do show caller ID with name.

--
Mike