Unlimited Data?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey
The iPhone's tariffs include 'Unlimited Data' but when I registered my iPhone, my dad said, "You have unlimited internet use (Edge, GPRS etc.) as long as you don't overuse it."
Is this right? Or is it completely unlimited?

Thanks,
Arran

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Yep, in the US it is truly unlimited data. I have read that some other countries have different interpretations of what "unlimited" means.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Yep, in the US it is truly unlimited data. I have read that some other countries have different interpretations of what "unlimited" means.
Well, I'm in the UK so...

And on the o2 tariffs page it says
'Inclusive data and Wi-Fi applies to use in the UK only, at any of The Cloud's hotspots for Wi-Fi, subject to fair use policy. Visit o2.co.uk/terms for full tariff terms and airtime agreement.'

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
thatis something that i would check out.. there might be a difference in unlinited and inclusive, if it is not truly unlimited like in the US then that sucks...

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Just found this 'O2, whose rates have been up since day one, has a slightly vaguer "fair usage policy" that gives O2 the right to slap you with extra charges or change your rate plan if you exceed 200MB of use, though they claim this rarely happens.'
:s I should be ok though I've only on Sent: 1.2 MB and Received 5.3MB so far.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Just found this in o2's Terms

Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of O2 UK’s Edge / GPRS networks and The Cloud’s UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.
That clears it up I think lol

Thanks for your help!
Arran

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
haha you must be from the I'm to put the date in your signature in such an odd way
more commonly: 12/25/07

Optimous

Bronze
Nov 30, 2007
im also concerned with AT&T couse i used 260mb received and 58 mb sent so they wont slap me with extra charges couse im on the unlimited plan.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Truly unlimited within the limits they do not inform you of. Just as with unlimited internet, provided by companies like Comcast, if they think you use it too much they reserve the right to throttle you. I know I read it somewhere in the fine print or the person selling me the phone back on iday informed me of this. I don't know of any cases where they actually did any throttling though.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Truly unlimited within the limits they do not inform you of. Just as with unlimited internet, provided by companies like Comcast, if they think you use it too much they reserve the right to throttle you. I know I read it somewhere in the fine print or the person selling me the phone back on iday informed me of this. I don't know of any cases where they actually did any throttling though.

The only limit that I know of is the basic limit of 200 sms messages.

jafundy

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
So I have grandfathered unlimited data with AT&T. If I upgrade iPhone will I lose unlimited data? If so I'll stay with what I have.