Unlock a new 1.1.1 iPhone in 5 minutes on Windows

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Unlock a new 1.1.1 iPhone in 5 minutes on Windows (or Mac)

THIS PROCESS STILL WORKS BUT I HAVE DEVISED AN EASIER AND BETTER METHOD. GO HERE INSTEAD TO UNLOCK YOUR PHONE WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING A COMPUTER!

IF YOU STILL WANNA DO THIS GUIDE, IT WORKS JUST FINE:

NEW IN BOX UNACTIVATED 1.1.1 iPHONE ----> ACTIVATED, JAILBROKEN, AND UNLOCKED iPHONE

Ok, so it's not quite 5 minutes, maybe more like 15 :)

In Windows (Vista users: disable your firewall and run everything with admin rights):

1. Slide to reach the emergency dial screen
2. Enter *#307# and then press call. Don't forget the asterisk (*).
3. Your phone will ring itself. Delete all the numbers at the top, press 0, then call. Now answer the call.
4. Press hold now and your phone will start ringing again
5. Press Dismiss and your phone will go into the Dialpad screen
6. Press Contacts from the bottom bar and add a contact
7. Add a contact with a random name and homepage as "prefs://1F" (no quotes). Now save the contact and click the URL. This will bring up your Settings menu. First, go to General, and change autolock to Never. Now go to WiFi. Choose your network and if you did it right you will see a Wifi signal on top of the iPhone.
8. Now press the home button, and do steps 1 - 5 again. Add another contact but this time make the address Link removed, website no longer available
9. Save the contact and then go to the 2nd url you just saved. Safari will load the page and then close automatically to the "Activate iPhone" screen.
10. Next, download and run touchfree to get your phone jailbroken. (If it doesn't work, especially for you Vista users, try this program instead). Once this is done, you should automatically be taken to the homescreen with all your widgets*. Alternatively, you may also try adding a contact with the address "www.jailbreakme.com" and visiting that website. This is brand new, but apparently jailbreaks your phone using the Internet. Please let me know results of this.
11. Next, go to the Installer widget on your phone, and download BSD Subsystem, and then OpenSSH in that order. (If you can't see them in the list, download Community Sources first.)
12. Next, download anySIM 1.1. Use this link to download. Do NOT install anySIM 1.0.2 or you will be in a world of pain. Put anySIM 1.1 onto your phone using one of the following two methods:
Option A. Use WinSCP. To use WinSCP, log on to a Wi-Fi network on your phone and get your IP address by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and then clicking the blue arrow to the right of your selected Wi-Fi network. Open up WinSCP and put your phone's IP in there, use the username "root" and the password "alpine" and then make sure the File protocol is set to SCP. Now click Login and let it sit for about a minute (Ignore/Click yes to any warning messages). Once you're in, drag and drop the anySIM 1.1 folder you downloaded previously into the Applications folder. Now go in to the anySIM folder, find the file called anySIM, right click it, go to properties, and then change its permissions to 0755 by putting an X in every box in the third column. Do the same thing for the Info.plist file. Once you're done, restart your phone.

Option B. Use iBrickr. Click Applications, then Browse Applications, then install the PXL and follow on screen instructions. Now find anySIM 1.1 in the application list (make sure it's version 1.1!), and install it. Now restart your phone. (NOTE: I haven't tried installing anySIM 1.1 with iBrickr so this should work only in theory. If someone tries it and it works, please let me know. Thanks.)
13. Now click on the anySIM widget on your homescreen and let it run. (Make sure autolock is set to Never in Settings > General.) It doesn't matter what SIM is in your phone. (You might have to restart your phone after.)
14. Now download and run One Click Activation 1.1.1 to get your phone activated in Windows. To run it, open the extracted folder and double click the activate.bat file. (Do this even if you have already activated your phone with AT&T, this step is necessary no matter what!). Watch carefuly and make sure it doesn't say "Not jailbroken" as it is loading. If it says this, run touchfree again, and then One Click Activation again until you no longer see the "Not jailbroken" message.
15. Finally, go into Settings > General > About and check out your storage capacity. If it says 300mb, then you need to fix this by using WinSCP or iBrickr. Navigate to var/root and you should see two folders, one called Media and another called Mediaold. Delete Media, then rename Mediaold to Media.
16. Your phone is now jailbroken and unlocked! Feel free to delete the anySIM app in WinSCP if you wish as it is no longer needed.

Now from now on, make sure to never get any more firmware upgrades past 1.1.1 until you get confirmation from the hacking community that you can. Doing this will most likely brick your phone, thanks to Apple.

*If you can't get to the homescreen after trying to run touchfree, restore your iPhone in iTunes first, then run touchfree again. The best way to do this is to open up iTunes, hold the sleep and home button for exactly 10 seconds, then let go of the sleep and keep holding the home button until iTunes says you need to restore the phone. Let iTunes restore the phone to firmware 1.1.1. Then restart the tutorial from step 1.

On a Mac:

I don't own a Mac, so these directions are more vague, but I know it works.

Download iNdependence, plug in your phone, and use this program to Activate and Jailbreak your phone. Download anySIM 1.1 and get it on your phone somehow. I think you can use iNdependence. Once it's on there, set autolock to Never and let anySIM run. That should work!

Last edited by a moderator:

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
should i do this with the phone connected to iTunes? or should i close iTunes?

do i run AnySIM 1.1 with the AT&T card that came witht he phone (not activated) inside? or can I run it without an sim card inside the phone so i can later insert whatever sim card i want?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
do i run AnySIM 1.1 with the AT&T card that came witht he phone (not activated) inside? or can I run it without an sim card inside the phone so i can later insert whatever sim card i want?
Do not worry about SIM cards. You can have any SIM in there, or even no SIM.

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
thanks for the quick response.

should i start to do this with the phone connected to iTunes? or should i close iTunes?

in this method there is no need to visit the jailbrake page on safari and all that complicated stuff?
just plug my new phone, run the 2 programs listed here and then anysim in the iPhone?

Phone, Wifi works? anything you have noticed not working?

im willing to give this a try tomorrow on my new 1.1.1 phone

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
thanks for the quick response.

should i start to do this with the phone connected to iTunes? or should i close iTunes?

in this method there is no need to visit the jailbrake page on safari and all that complicated stuff?
just plug my new phone, run the 2 programs listed here and then anysim in the iPhone?

Phone, Wifi works? anything you have noticed not working?

im willing to give this a try tomorrow on my new 1.1.1 phone
It's always best to keep iTunes closed.

You will still need to visit that webpage, but I don't see why it's complicated. You just open up Safari and go to the page.

And yes, it's just those 3 programs - One Click Activation, touchfree, and anySIM 1.1

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
just wondering, i see that the tiff exploit page is not up anymore, hope it works tomorrow...

but if it doesn't works... can i add the installer app with apptapp or ibrickr? and then from there install anysim1.1?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
just wondering, i see that the tiff exploit page is not up anymore, hope it works tomorrow...

but if it doesn't works... can i add the installer app with apptapp or ibrickr? and then from there install anysim1.1?
No, because you can't jailbreak your phone at all without going to that page first. How can you tell it's down? If it is, we either need to wait for it to work again, or find out where they've moved it.

EDIT: From the jailbreak page "We did an upgrade last night and the jailbreak site was not working for the last 6 or so hours. So if you tried the jailbreak and it didn't work. Try again."

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
unless you plan on using a different carrier, I would hold off on unlocking the SIM. It's suspected that a new firmware version might be right around the corner, coinciding with the release of Leopard, and it might be another case of bricking your phone if you update with the SIM unlocked.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
No, because you can't jailbreak your phone at all without going to that page first. How can you tell it's down? If it is, we either need to wait for it to work again, or find out where they've moved it.

EDIT: From the jailbreak page "We did an upgrade last night and the jailbreak site was not working for the last 6 or so hours. So if you tried the jailbreak and it didn't work. Try again."
Hey man, thanks for the post. I unlocked my OOTB 1.1.1 with anySIM 1.1 and it worked great. Just Wondering, when someone puts in their SIM ..... do they have to activate it? What does this involve if so?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
unless you plan on using a different carrier, I would hold off on unlocking the SIM. It's suspected that a new firmware version might be right around the corner, coinciding with the release of Leopard, and it might be another case of bricking your phone if you update with the SIM unlocked.
This will forever be an issue. "Holding off" just means that your phone will work with the next update, but not the next. People who want unlocked phones just have to deal with the fact that the next update might not be unlockable and/or might brick their phone if they try it.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Hey man, thanks for the post. I unlocked my OOTB 1.1.1 with anySIM 1.1 and it worked great. Just Wondering, when someone puts in their SIM ..... do they have to activate it? What does this involve if so?
Nope, you only have to activate once and then any SIM will work with the phone. I tried 3 different SIM cards in one phone and they all worked just fine, even after I restored the phone! A restore doesn't relock the phone at all.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Nope, you only have to activate once and then any SIM will work with the phone. I tried 3 different SIM cards in one phone and they all worked just fine, even after I restored the phone! A restore doesn't relock the phone at all.
Hmmm... Okay. because right when I unlocked the phone, (I think) I still had my SIM inserted and activated. Then put my buddies SIM in my phone and it asked me connect to iTunes, which then asked for activation.

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Also, I don't have a T-Mobile SIM, or even another AT&T SIM at the moment... I am going to give this phone to my friend in exchange for his locked iPhone but don't want to give him a locked phone. Anyway to test the unlock without a SIM?

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Did you follow my guide or someone else's to unlock the phone?
I used Independence and then installed AnySIM through Independence, so I used your guide. SMBPref's wasn't installed through Independence though... and when I go to it in Installer, it tells me I need to upgrade to 1.1.1 , which is the firmware I am running....

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I used Independence and then installed AnySIM through Independence, so I used your guide. SMBPref's wasn't installed through Independence though... and when I go to it in Installer, it tells me I need to upgrade to 1.1.1 , which is the firmware I am running....
Hmm, that's disappointing. I don't own a Mac so I wasn't as sure about that method. Assuming you did everything right and it still didn't work, then I'm sorry and thanks for letting us know. If you figure it out, can you let me know so I can refine the instructions?

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Hmm, that's disappointing. I don't own a Mac so I wasn't as sure about that method. Assuming you did everything right and it still didn't work, then I'm sorry and thanks for letting us know. If you figure it out, can you let me know so I can refine the instructions?
Not a problem, I am going to attempt to install SummerBoard manually.... I'll let you know...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm going to ask a really stupid question here. One of the steps you say:

3. Next, go to the Installer widget on your phone, and download BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH.

Are these download options shown on this "Installer Widget"?

Thanks.

NEW IN BOX UNACTIVATED 1.1.1 iPHONE ----> ACTIVATED, JAILBROKEN, AND UNLOCKED iPHONE

In Windows:

1. First, download and run One Click Activation 1.1.1 to get your phone activated in Windows. (Do this even if you have already activated your phone with AT&T, this step is necessary no matter what!)
2. Next, download and run touchfree to get your phone jailbroken. (It will direct you to visit a webpage on your phone, so make sure you have either Wi-Fi or EDGE access on your phone.)
3. Next, go to the Installer widget on your phone, and download BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH.
4. Next, download anySIM 1.1 and put it onto your phone using one of the following two methods:
Option A. Use WinSCP. To use WinSCP, log on to a Wi-Fi network on your phone and get your IP address by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and then clicking the blue arrow to the right of your selected Wi-Fi network. Open up WinSCP and put your phone's IP in there, use the username "root" and the password "alpine" and then make sure the File protocol is set to SCP. Now click Login and let it sit for about a minute (Ignore/Click yes to any warning messages). Once you're in, drag and drop the anySIM 1.1 folder you downloaded previously into the Applications folder. Now go in to the anySIM folder, find the file called anySIM, right click it, go to properties, and then change its permissions to 0755 by putting an X in every box in the third column. Once you're done, restart your phone.

Option B. Use iBrickr. Click Applications, then Browse Applications, then install the PXL and follow on screen instructions. Now find anySIM 1.1 in the application list (make sure it's version 1.1!), and install it. Now restart your phone. (NOTE: I haven't tried installing anySIM 1.1 with iBrickr so this should work only in theory. If someone tries it and it works, please let me know. Thanks.)
5. Go to Settings > General and change autolock to Never. Now click on the anySIM widget on your homescreen and let it run. It doesn't matter what SIM is in your phone. (You might have to restart your phone after.)
6. Your phone is now jailbroken and unlocked! Feel free to delete the anySIM app in WinSCP if you wish as it is no longer needed.

On a Mac:

I don't own a Mac, so these directions are more vague, but I know it works.

Download iNdependence, plug in your phone, and use this program to Activate and Jailbreak your phone. Download anySIM 1.1 and get it on your phone somehow. I think you can use iNdependence. Once it's on there, set autolock to Never and let anySIM run. That should work!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I'm going to ask a really stupid question here. One of the steps you say:

Are these download options shown on this "Installer Widget"?

Thanks.
They are third party apps. You touch "Installer" on your phone's homescreen, go to the System category, and download those two apps by touching them. It makes sense once you try it...

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Great stuff.

Once you have unlocked the phone, can you then remove those two tools (BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH)? Or do they need to stay on forever? Just wondering how much disk space they took up?

And does YouTube work?

They are third party apps. You touch "Installer" on your phone's homescreen, go to the System category, and download those two apps by touching them. It makes sense once you try it...