Unlock an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluejak, Feb 6, 2017.

1. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

I use an iPhone 6 and am very happy with it. However my network charges me absurd charges when I am outside the UK, especially in North America. I have a SIM card for another network that has some special arrangement by which the charges abroad are very cheap. There are disadvantages as well, and it is too expensive to use in the UK.

Ok, but I have used it in old phones and their batteries are dying. I have an iPhone 5 I don't use any more, and can have a nano SIM card or whatever they call it that fits into an iPhone. But it does not work in my iPhone 5. The people who sell me the SIM card say I need to get the iPhone unlocked.

Is this possible? How? Is it something I can do myself?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I think there are sites that unlock iPhones. I just don't know what they are. Have you tried asking the carrier to unlock it?

3. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

No. I have no idea how to do it so that is why I was asking. The carrier has (from experience) people on their helpdesk who do not tend to be knowledgeable.

4. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

In the U.S. with most carrier, if you have been a customer in good standing for 6 months (less for some), they will unlock your iPhone for free if you ask them. If they ask why you want it unlocked, tell them you plan to use it with a local SIM for international travel. Worth a shot since even the call is free.

5. overthemoon

overthemoon New Member

Your carrier can do this for you, but whether they will or won't is at their discretion if you haven't finished paying the contract yet because technically the phone isn't yours yet. Most will do it, especially after 6-12 months.

6. bluejak

bluejak Member
    Bronze

I am in the UK. The phone is paid for since I have upgraded via the same carrier to another iPhone.

7. TudorJ

TudorJ New Member

I do know that all iPhones purchased in the UK, except directly from Apple, become locked to the carrier that you use for the first time. Also I think it is only Apple who can actually "unlock" an iPhone, the network provider just sends an authorised request to Apple for the unlock.

8. vongolashu

vongolashu New Member

You should try some articles on Redmondpie, I last unlocked my iPhone 5(C) using one of their guides

9. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I was under the impression that once unlocked, iPhones cannot be re-locked. If they come unlocked they stay unlocked.