unlock and sell my 4gb/2g to a bulgarian friend and buy a 16gb/3G iPhone for myself

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
hey there... here's the scoop... i'm looking for your best recommendations on what to do here... i want to sell my 4gb/2g iPhone to my friend who's heading back to bulgaria soon and wants to use his bulgarian sim card with it obviously... the reason i'm willing to sell is because i want a 16gb/3g iPhone... what unlocking program do you recommend i use to ensure his bulgarian sim card will work on the 4gb/2g iPhone? pwnage? winpwn? do i have to also jailbreak the phone in order to unlock it? will i need to buy the 16gb/3g before i unlock my current phone so i can transfer all of my data and activation? if i go to the Apple store and buy the 16gb/3g will they activate that one and leave my 4gb/2g alone? can i then simply sync the 16gb/3g to my iTunes and transfer all my old data to it? and will i then simply have a non-activated 2g phone with all the current data on it ready for unlocking / jailbreaking? as you can tell i'm new to the unlocking and jailbreaking and simply need some advice... thanks so much for your help! looking forward to your responses...

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
1. Back up your 2g in iTunes.

2. Jailbreak/unlock the 2g with your with QuickPwn. Here's a walk-through:
http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1880 assuming you're on a PC.
You can test the unlock by finding a friend with Tmobile, inserting the sim, and trying to make a phone call.

3. Go the Apple store and get your 3g. Apple store should activate it and when you get home your 2g will no longer have service. You can still use it as an iPod touch. You can then restore your 3g from the back up of your 2g and you'll be good to go.

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
erik - thanks so much for the reponse. i'll trust ya and give it a whirl... will this 100% unlock it so any sim card from any country will work? does it matter that i have v2 firmware installed?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
You can be on any firmware and use this method. The first step, I believe, is to upgrade to 2.1, anyways.

As far as I know unlocked is unlocked. It's the method I used to unlock my 2g before I sold it and it worked fine on Tmobile.

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
awesome - can't thank you enough for the info... here goes nothin...

coreyb

Jul 2, 2007
well damn. we just popped in his mtel sim card and then opened iTunes and it says "sim card not supported"... we can slide to make an emergency call and then are presented with the phone keypad and can make calls but we can't get IN to the home screen... am i missing something? it seems like it'll make calls but i can't get to the home screen with this sim card... PLEASE help!