Unlock iPhone question

Dec 10, 2007
I recently bought an iPhone through Apple.com but have not activated it yet because it is a Christmas present. Anyway, here is my situation I'm in. I live in USA for 4 months of the year and Istanbul, Turkey for 8 months of the year. I am currently in Istanbul, where I will activate my iPhone and become an AT&T customer. My question is, is it possible to unlock my phone here in Turkey, use my AVEA (Turkish cell phone carrier) SIM card for 8 months of the year and then when I return to the States, slip my AT&T SIM card back in and use my iPhone with AT&T and have no problems or lose any iPhone features?

I hope I am explaining myself here but I'd like to unlock my iPhone, use an international SIM card for part of the year, return to the States and have no problems with AT&T.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yes, as far as I know, that shouldn't be too much of a problem - depending on your firmware version.
The problem that you might now have thought about is that for 4 months out of the year, you're going to be paying for service that you aren't using. and the reverse of that is that 8 months of the year, there will be your other bill that you would be paying on and not using.
My best advice is to call AT&T and talk to them about what kind of plan they can assist you with. They might be able to do "suspended Service" while you're in Turkey.

Dec 10, 2007
Yes, as far as I know, that shouldn't be too much of a problem - depending on your firmware version.
The problem that you might now have thought about is that for 4 months out of the year, you're going to be paying for service that you aren't using. and the reverse of that is that 8 months of the year, there will be your other bill that you would be paying on and not using.
My best advice is to call AT&T and talk to them about what kind of plan they can assist you with. They might be able to do "suspended Service" while you're in Turkey.
Yes, that is what I always do, put my US cell phone carrier on hold while I'm away. I am now with Verizon and I always just put a 3 month hold for $25 while I'm away.The company that I work for pays my Turkish cell phone carrier bill, so that is not a problem. I just usually slip in my SIM card on any GSM phone and I'm good to go.

What steps do I need to take in order to unlock my iPhone and have it work with AVEA Turk cell phone carrier, without causing any problems to my iPhone? Thanks.