Unlockable

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MichalLO

Mar 7, 2007
Will the iPhone be unlockable at any point for those businesss people who travel abroad and has international Sim Cards?

Downer

Mar 11, 2007
Call me hopelessly crazy, but I think I would be willing to pay 1000 to 1500 dollars for an unlocked iPhone. I come from Europe and I can't wait for fall.

Downer

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think 1000 dollars or so for an iPhone is an issue of concern -- some people will spend thousands of dollars for it on eBay. The question is though: Where can I get it unlocked and without service plan and, most importantly, will it work in Europe -- with a German provider, to be precise?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't think 1000 dollars or so for an iPhone is an issue of concern -- some people will spend thousands of dollars for it on eBay. The question is though: Where can I get it unlocked and without service plan and, most importantly, will it work in Europe -- with a German provider, to be precise?
Once unlocked, it will work. The question will be, "How does one unlock the iPhone?". With the Treo, it was possible to get Cingular reps to unlock them with a little coaxing. "I travel international...roaming charges are expensive...would like to use a SIM card in Europe..etc". A number of people I've seen on the Treo forums have had success with this method. Because Apple is involved, I don't see this happening. I think Cingular/AT&T will put the clamps down on the iPhone and CSR's won't have the ability to unlock.

I'd also suspect we'll see a lot of eBay scams offering information on how to unlock the iPhone. If someone does figure it out, then expect them to command a nice chunk of change.

-Chris

Downer

Mar 11, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply, Chris. A lot of uncertainty out there. Time will tell what's going to happen. According to my book, everythingiPhone is an excellent source.