Unlocked 3G at Apple Store?

cdgarcia87

Bronze
Jun 14, 2008
can you really buy an unlocked 3g at the Apple store?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Although I'm currently wondering the same thing as jUeLz23, no you cannot.

cdgarcia87

Bronze
Jun 14, 2008
ohh ok.. yes i wasn't sure if it was possible or not.. sorry to misinform anybody with the question.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I've noticed some people getting confused.

When you walk out of the Store you have an Activated Phone (ESN registered to your account), but the phone is still locked to AT&T's Network like with any other Cell Phone.

cdgarcia87

Bronze
Jun 14, 2008
yes i understand that, but i also assumed that you could purchase an unlocked version straight from Apple..guess it was just that (an assumption)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
yes i understand that, but i also assumed that you could purchase an unlocked version straight from Apple..guess it was just that (an assumption)
We probably won't be able to buy an unlocked version from them, until their 5 year AT&T contract is over...unless they re-new it.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
AT&T will be renewing that contract with Apple for the simple fact that in one day (3g release date) 1.6million people joined the AT&T network with new 2 year contracts. About 1.2million existing customers upgraded to the 3g. This all happened in one businesss day.

Its all about the money. B/c if i remember right it took 72days for AT&T to get 1million new contracts when the v1 came out then.

New contracts makes the heart grow fonder for Apple lol.

Jul 1, 2008
AT&T will be renewing that contract with Apple for the simple fact that in one day (3g release date) 1.6million people joined the AT&T network with new 2 year contracts. About 1.2million existing customers upgraded to the 3g. This all happened in one businesss day.
Where did you hear this? According to Apple's press release, they sold their millionth iPhone 3G on Sunday, the 3rd day of release. And remember that that's worldwide, not just AT&T. So there is no way that 1.2 million existing AT&T customers upgraded to the 3G in one day.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Where did you hear this? According to Apple's press release, they sold their millionth iPhone 3G on Sunday, the 3rd day of release. And remember that that's worldwide, not just AT&T. So there is no way that 1.2 million existing AT&T customers upgraded to the 3G in one day.

I would think it would be feasible with DF orders.....

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Actually I've heard that you could buy unlocked phones from ATT. But it's expensive, to the point that it would be better to accept the plan and then cancel it.

EDIT- post 100, woot.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Actually I've heard that you could buy unlocked phones from ATT. But it's expensive, to the point that it would be better to accept the plan and then cancel it.
False. Netiher Apple nor AT&T will let you walk out with an iPhone 3G unless the phone you walk out with is locked into a new 2-year contract with AT&T.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think the confusion here is because of the different price tiers for the 3G. Here's the breakdown

1. If you qualify, you can get a subsidized 3G for 199/299 (8/16) with 2 year commitment

2. If you don't qualify, you can get an unsubsidized 3G for 399/499, but again, with a 2 year commitment

3. This option is not yet available, but AT&T/Apple have stated that there will be a no-commitment option which will not require a contract. However this is not the same as an unlocked phone. This just means that you are under no contractual commitment to AT&T, but you still have to use their network. I forget this price, but it has been stated. I think it's 599/699?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I think the confusion here is because of the different price tiers for the 3G. Here's the breakdown

1. If you qualify, you can get a subsidized 3G for 199/299 (8/16) with 2 year commitment

2. If you don't qualify, you can get an unsubsidized 3G for 399/499, but again, with a 2 year commitment

3. This option is not yet available, but AT&T/Apple have stated that there will be a no-commitment option which will not require a contract. However this is not the same as an unlocked phone. This just means that you are under no contractual commitment to AT&T, but you still have to use their network. I forget this price, but it has been stated. I think it's 599/699?
THATS what i heard. and the price is correct. thanks dave.
btw OT: philly? Please tell me your an eagles fan?

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
wanted to add a little info to that

A SIM lock, simlock, network lock or subsidy lock — not to be confused with PIN or PUK code — is a capability built-in to GSM phones by mobile phone manufacturers. Network providers use this capability to restrict the use of these phones to specific countries and network providers.

Some providers never unlock handsets, even after a customer has fulfilled their service contract.

Unlocking a phone without the permission or unlocking code from the provider is usually in breach of the agreement with the provider.

In the United States the DMCA formerly was claimed to criminalize unlocking. However, an exemption that took effect 27 November 2006 specifically permits it, and will expire in three years but it can be renewed after that.[3] The exemption only applies to the actual unlocking, not to providing an unlocking device or service, see WIPO Copyright and Performances and Phonograms Treaties Implementation Act.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
YES! I live over in MD, so a lot of my friends hate me for being an Eagles fan.
God BLESS you!