Unlocked iPhone from eBay

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jreif

Aug 12, 2007
I am a current Cingular user with no current contract. I am looking at getting an iPhone. I see them on ebay for a little less than in the stores. Some are unlocked and some are not. What happens if I buy an unlocked iPhone?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i wouldn't trust any of those auctions. no one has been able to unlock the iPhone yet (the closest i've heard about is sim-modification that makes the iPhone think the sim in it is an AT&T one when it's not). keep an eye out on the news here or at hackintosh to see if/when the iPhone is really and truly unlocked to allow any gsm sim card...

what auctions are you looking at? this one is deceptive - they say it's unlocked, but then say later that you can't use the phone/data/text/email but you can use the ipod and other functions that need data via wifi. somehow that means unlocked to them :rolleyes: but don't be fooled by those...

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Even when it will be unlocked you won't be able to use everything. Just wait it out to come for your provider lol or get AT&T. The phone is an expensive investment, surely you can switch over.

Jul 1, 2007
At&t

As I told the folks at the Apple Store at The Woodlands, TX the iPhone is great, the biggest weakness is AT&T. Numbers through acquisition don't prove much except that someone is making money rather than providing good service. Where I live T-Mobile provides great service. AT&T does much less. If you want the phone you have to put up with the service or lack of whichever the case may be. Not everyone lives in the city.

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Even when im out in deep metro atlanta (considered metro atlanta, but not really), I have full bars while friends on tmobile and sprint have a hard time using their phone indoors. AT&T does have a superior network.