unlocked iPhone - need to manually input APN w/ pre-paid SIM?

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
I have a factory unlocked iPhone (from Italy). I am about to go on a trip and will be using pre-paid SIM cards while traveling in Europe.
Assuming that I use pre-paid cards from carriers that sell the iPhone (like t-mobile in Germany and Telia in Sweden), will I have to manually input the APN and other network info or is that information pre-programmed into the iPhone?
Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
AFAIK, the SIM's will just work. If no one else chimes in here to verify this, send a PM to macgirl, she'll know.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have a factory unlocked iPhone (from Italy). I am about to go on a trip and will be using pre-paid SIM cards while traveling in Europe.
Assuming that I use pre-paid cards from carriers that sell the iPhone (like t-mobile in Germany and Telia in Sweden), will I have to manually input the APN and other network info or is that information pre-programmed into the iPhone?
Thanks!
I traveled to Spain earlier this year with my factory-unlocked iPhone and used 2 pre-paid SIMs there (Blau and Yoigo). I had to enter APN settings to get a data connection for each. With one of the cards, the APN info was right in the paperwork that came with the SIM. With the other, I had to do a bit of hunting as the phone shop I bought the card from claimed these settings were not needed. I had to Google it on my computer once I got back to my hotel and found this site, which had it. You might find other useful information for pre-paid SIMs while traveling through Europe on that site as well. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
macgirl, so it will work fine for phone calls, text, and data on WiFi, but if you want to use prepaid data when not on WiFi, you'll have to input the APN settings, correct?
Thanks.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
macgirl, so it will work fine for phone calls, text, and data on WiFi, but if you want to use prepaid data when not on WiFi, you'll have to input the APN settings, correct?
Thanks.
It may be different for different pre-paid SIMs, but I could do phone calls without entering the APN information, though I needed to enter it to get data and SMS on the cellular data network. Data worked on Wi-Fi only without APN settings entered, but still no text messaging since that goes over the cellular data network.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
thanks for the info. however, I am wondering if I use a pre-paid SIM from one of the "authorized" iPhone carriers listed at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937 whether I will have to manually input the APN data.
I noticed that both of the Spanish providers you listed are on the above list.
It's probably best for me to copy the APN info from http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Carrier_APN_Settings for the countries I will be visiting into my notepad for reference.