unlocked iPhone on AT&T - any issues/problems?

daonei

Jul 31, 2008
I am a new customer to AT&T and purchased a free phone a few days ago. I then picked up a used iPhone, unlocked and jailbreaked it, and then swapped the SIM card and have so far been using it successfuly. I basically don't want to pay the $20 data plan per month because I am around a wifi area most of the time.

However, when I log on to my account online, it states that my device is the iPhone. I changed it once to show my free phone, but it reverted back to the iPhone when I logged back on to my account.

Do you all know whether this will be an issue? Is anyone out there in my shoes, and have you ever had issues? I heard something about snooper and how it can detect your device and stuff like that so got a little worried.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts, comments, or advice! Thank you so much!

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Mine just did the same thing.

I had a blackberry Curve, and just recently purchased a used V1 iPhone. I went into my account and it still showed the Curve as my device, but when I go to add/manage features, it shows the data plan for the iPhone. I didn't change anything because currently I don't have a date plan and I don't want to add that just yet so I left it. I do know however from past experience, having rate plans or features not designed for the phone will stay there as long as you don't change it your self or call customer care and ask them to look into something, because it'll show up and they are forced to change it to the proper rate.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
the OLAM figures out what phone you are using based upon the IMEI. As the iPhone is carried by AT&T, they know what IMEI numbers belong to iPhones.
Just be sure to swap the SIM card back into the free phone if you ever have to call AT&T (or go into a AT&T store) for service.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/imei for full into on what the IMEI number is if you have any questions.

Oct 11, 2008
Unlocked iPhone and Data Plan...

Hey I had a Samsung SGH-A737 phone through At&t and I had the Unlimited Text/Unlimited Internet Package. The other day I bought an iPhone unlocked and jailbroken...was just wondering if I should purchase an iPhone data plan or if my Unlimited Text/Ulimited Internet Package will work with the iPhone...

Thanks...