Unlocking any iPhone help

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by southpole12, Feb 5, 2015.

1. southpole12

southpole12 New Member

I see there are many sites online and people on Ebay who unlock the iphone. My question, does anyone know how these people are doing it? Are they hackers or something? I would like to start sending some iphone's to my home country in Central America to make a couple of extra bucks. If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AT&T unlocks them for free if they are out of contract, but this is limited to current customers. They often unlock them even if they are under contract. There are limitations here, so even if you are a customer, you are not going to be able to do this frequently. Each phone has an IMEI code. They are IMEI-locked to the carrier at purchase if it's under contract. They basically just reverse that when they unlock it. I'm not 100% certain how the eBay sellers do it, but I'm pretty sure they just acquire codes from the carriers. It's not hacking. They are more expensive than they were a couple years ago, so I doubt you'll be able to profit much, if at all, by selling eBay IMEI-unlocked iPhones.

3. southpole12

southpole12 New Member

Im talking about sending the phones to my home country unlocked. They sell for a lot more over there. I am searching to learn how to get these codes to unlock iphones so that I can send them over there.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I understood that in your first post. I'm saying you can't do it bulk through AT&T regardless if you are a customer or not and unlocks are currently too expensive through eBay to make much of a profit. You can't buy bulk iPhones at contract prices anyway. You can get a couple though AT&T, but if you buy them in large quantities through Apple, AT&T or privately, you are going to have to pay full cost and you can get them unlocked at purchase.

You might be able to buy unlocked iPhones through Apple cheaper here than you can there.

5. southpole12

southpole12 New Member

They have some on ebay for 6.99 or so. I am talking about buying the phones off craigslist for 200 and selling for 350-400 in central america

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh, okay. I assumed you were talking about newer iPhones. You must be talking about old iPhones (3GS, 4, and maybe 4S). None of the unlocks for the newer iPhones are that cheap.

7. southpole12

southpole12 New Member

I was looking more at 4s, 5, and 5c. Do you know if all verizon iphone's work with a sim card. If so, do you need to unlock it to use a sim card on another network.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sometimes what happens now is the eBay vendors reject the request and refund the money because the phone is still under contract. This won't be an issue for many of the phones you'll be buying, but you might run into it at times. You need to know which carrier it is locked to if you are going to purchase an unlock.

The Verizon iPhone 5, 5c, 5s and 6 will all work on AT&T without being unlocked because they all have a SIM tray that is unlocked. They should work with most other worldwide carriers as well. However, they won't all necessarily work on the alternate carriers' LTE networks. They sometimes can only access 3G and lower due to the hardware in the iPhone not supporting that network's LTE bands.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. southpole12

southpole12 New Member

yes I will know that before purchasing. It will be easier to buy verizon phones in that case so I will try to buy those first. I am looking at the carrier Tigo for central america. The Tigo network is sim card based so it should work over there. Thanks for all the information!!!

10. southpole12

southpole12 New Member

When I buy verizon do I need to check to make sure it is not stolen or do I not need to worry about it as it will be put on the Tigo network.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

13. MerlinHope

MerlinHope New Member

I believe that the people that are unlocking certain Mobile Networks, have something to do with the actual company. I do not believe that they "hack" their databases and mark your iPhone as unlocked. If you make a search on ebay, you will see that some iPhone unlock sellers, inform you that they will be able to unlock your iPhone, but there is a chance that your iPhone might get locked again (This might be for blacklisted iDevices only and especially to the ones that have pending payments). Also, a few AT&T Unlock sellers, give you a % of success (You get your money back of course) if the iPhone is in-contract.

The only thing that it is not clear to me, is how the "Any iPhone Any Network Unlock" is working (and it is very expensive!). They claim to unlock any iPhone model, with any carrier and even blacklisted ones...

14. Kratos

Kratos New Member

The whole unlocking procedure has nothing to do with hacking as @MerlinHope said. Most likely they have guys inside those companies, that they change their Locked state to Unlocked.

About the Any iPhone Any Network Unlock service, it has something to do with access to Apple's GSX database. It is not going through the path -> Unlock Request -> 3rd Party which handles unlocks -> Request to Carrier -> Unlocked device. They skip the Request to Carrier step, and they are doing it through the Apple GSX (At least this is what they told me).

Also, about the blacklisted devices, a common missunderstanding is that they also remove the blacklist status, which is definitely not true, because only the original owner can do that. Those devices will be usable only outside from the country that they were blacklisted.