unlocking for possible sale, iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by jaw2k9, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

I have and use an iPhone 5. I placed an ad for my iPhone 4 and got several nibbles, but no sale. Nearly everyone wants the phone unlocked, it's presently an AT&T phone.

So, since the 4 is mine, not under contract, etc. what is the unlock process/protocol?

Can I stroll into my local Apple or AT&T store and request it be done?

I don't have a desire to jailbreak the phone - and that's what most of the sites I've read suggest doing - or seem to suggest that this step is mandatory.

Thanks!

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I was able to purchase an unlock code off eBay for $3. It didn't require a jailbreak and the process was easy. The eBay retailer was UnlockFusion.

3. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Thanks! I think this is just what I am looking for. I assume the thought of asking for this 'service' at an Apple store would be <ahem> frowned upon?

I will check out what ebay has to offer.

Follow-up, if I may. If you did this for purposes of selling the old phone, was it more easily sold?

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple would probably refer you to the carrier. You could call your carrier, but the odds are not with you if you are in contract.

I figured for $3, it couldn't hurt. I sold a 64GB iPhone 4S (in pristine condition) for $500.

5. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Again, I thank you. seems I'll be approaching this via the ebay method.