Unlocking iPhone 3G on OSX (2.2.1)

JaymeNYC

Nov 20, 2007
I have a 2.2.1 iPhone 3G and I was wondering if it's possible for me to unlock/jailbreak my phone. If it is, will I have wifi access still? I've come across a couple people talking about wifi not working so im wondering about that before I try..

Is there anything I should do or know before/after I unlock my phone?

And also, I have OSX so will I be able to do this on my operating system?

Skol312000

Dec 8, 2008
N
Yeah. Itll work on your mac os. U need to get apropriate software to jailbreak/unlock. But! Before any of that u should eo some research on older threads and quit wasting out time/space/bandwidth/your time/electricity/my time.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ok, that reply was a bit harsh, so hopefully i can help.

On a mac - if you have updated to the current updates then unlocking a 3g iPhone may be difficult, you should check out the quickpwn site, as it explains how to unlock and jailbreak using a mac.

I just installed Windows onto my mac and jailbroke that way, sooo much easier! ha

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
Are you on 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? If so, follow the below instructions to keep any weird stuff from happening:

Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefuly and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - http://[URL="http://is.gd/hN26"]developer.apple.com/mac/ [/url]
  2. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
  3. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
  4. Install IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
  5. Reboot your system!
  6. Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.
  7. Download the disk image IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”
  8. Intall IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image
  9. Reboot your system!
  10. Reattach your USB peripherals."
Next, download this: http://iphone-dev.fgv6.net/QuickPwn_2.2.5.dmg

Run it, and follow the instructions it gives you to jailbreak your phone. When you're done, let us know.

fc97accord

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
Vancouver
I have a 2.2.1 iPhone 3G and I was wondering if it's possible for me to unlock/jailbreak my phone. If it is, will I have wifi access still? I've come across a couple people talking about wifi not working so im wondering about that before I try..

Is there anything I should do or know before/after I unlock my phone?

And also, I have OSX so will I be able to do this on my operating system?
First if you have 2.2.1 you CANNOT UNLOCK your iPhone at the moment, but you CAN JAILBREAK using the above mentioned ways.
You can use wifi anytime period.

fc97accord

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
Vancouver
YES YOU CAN! You just have to tell pwnage not to update the baseband and you're done.
Well if you read his post properly it says that he is already on 2.2.1. Therefore unless he did the pwnage on the baseband(which I doubt he did or he would not be asking) you cannot unlock or go back to a different baseband once you have upgraded.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Yeah. Itll work on your mac os. U need to get apropriate software to jailbreak/unlock. But! Before any of that u should eo some research on older threads and quit wasting out time/space/bandwidth/your time/electricity/my time.
haha +1, i've been waiting for someone like you to join me in the ranks :)

Well if you read his post properly it says that he is already on 2.2.1. Therefore unless he did the pwnage on the baseband(which I doubt he did or he would not be asking) you cannot unlock or go back to a different baseband once you have upgraded.
correct as well, if you update to 2.2.1 without pwnagetool, you upgrade your baseband and make it impossible to unlock at the moment. i see no reason really to update to 2.2.1 right now, i don't understand why so many people are so quick to fix what isn't broke.....

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
you guys have read about the lock up that occurs when using the method posted above? it occurs when you update quick time. I simply use a powered external USB hub. no problems at all. The lock up just happened to my buddies' glassbook pro.

losgofres

Mar 11, 2009
10.5.6 DFU Warnings when Jailbreaking 2.2.1 on a Mac

Are you on 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? If so, follow the below instructions to keep any weird stuff from happening:

Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

you guys have read about the lock up that occurs when using the method posted above? it occurs when you update quick time. I simply use a powered external USB hub. no problems at all. The lock up just happened to my buddies' glassbook pro.
I see a lot of warnings about jailbreaking the iPhone when running OS 10.5.6; I'm on an older Powerbook G4 with the latest 10.5.6 update--does anyone know if the lock-up problem exists ONLY on new macs with 10.5.6? I read on Dev Team's blog that the error occurs only "on some Macs" and it's not very clear as to which ones they are, or even if the problem is sporadic. I've never jailbroken my phone so I am very weary about these warnings. I don't have a powered USB hub so unless I run out to the store I don't have that as an option. If I do go ahead and run the QuickPwn software, is the only risk that my phone will not be recognized, or do I risk bricking the device?

Thanks to anyone who doesn't leave a smart ass comment.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^i am not sure if the 10.5.6 problem would apply to you, but i would have to assume it would. the only way to really find out is to try it. if you get to the DFU part (the last part in quickpwn) and it won't finish, then you know the problem applies to you. all you will have to do is unplug and plug it back into your comp and hit restore and you will be back to stock settings. so if you don't want to try that, then i would use a different comp. if you feel frisky today, give it a whirl, you won't brick your phone.

losgofres

Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the assurance--I just tried it and had no error on my machine. Pretty awesome.