Unlocking iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by verbalj, Jan 13, 2013.

1. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Is it true I can still carrier unlock after jailbreak iPhone 4 on 6.0.1 with RedSn0w 0915b3? I read yes and no on different sites.

I tried going directly through AT&T but they denied me for some odd reason (I met every one of their criteria), so I'm trying through RedSn0w.

I'm preparing it for sale.

Thanks in advance!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can buy a permanent unlock on eBay for less than $5. I used unlock_fusion.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

After starting this thread, I went through this sub-forum and saw a few posts recommending the eBay route.

Does the iPhone 4 in question need an active SIM card in it for the seller to unlock it? I'm not really sure how they're able to do it or how it works.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

At&T denied my request, too. It's just not worth jumping through hoops to get it unlocked by AT&T. You can activate a phone with an eBay factory unlock with any active SIM. You just need to know which carrier it's locked to when you buy the unlock on eBay. Mine was unlocked six hours after I bought it. They'll send you directions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

I'm an AT&T customer. I bought and received the iPhone 5 already. The sim that is inside my iPhone 4 is no longer active. I guess I should swap my 5 sim into the 4 to complete the unlock, assuming the SIM card fits (which I think it does).

Does the active SIM card have to be in the iPhone 4 when the eBay seller runs its magic software or does it not matter? When they tell me it's ready, then I can swap the sims?

Thanks...

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The 4 uses a micro SIM and the 5 uses a nano SIM, so you'll need to buy or make an adapter if you want to put the 5's SIM in the 4.

It just needs to be in the phone when you activate it. They'll send you an email when it's done and you can put the SIM in at that point. I didn't need to restore in iTunes like the directions said. I just ran SAM (Cydia app) to activate it. Then I got a message in iTunes saying it was (factory) unlocked.

7. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Thanks so much for all the help! Luckily, my dad and girlfriend still have the 4 or 4S, so I can use one of theirs.

If I use one of those SIM cards and do the restore in iTunes (the 4 I'm planning to sell is no longer jailbroken), the restore won't affect the data stored on the sim right? Nothing will change and as soon as I return their SIM card to their original phone, everything should be fine?

Thanks again.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep, that's fine. It won't affect their SIM or account.

9. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Great, thanks again for all your help, my friend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent using iCafe app