Unlocking iPhone to use with AT&T other SIM?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I asked at ATT if i can use my blackberry ATT SIM and just put it into the iPhone and use it, and i was told no that once i activate the iPhone it will disable the blackberry SIM.

If i unlock the iPhone can i simply put in my blackberry SIM and be able to use it?

I want to be able to try to learn the iPhone while being able to use my blackberry. Also if i get the date plan for the iPhone can i use it on the blackberry as well, or get blackberry data plan and use it with iPhone? or if i don't get the date plan for the iPhone i would have to disable EDGE and just use WiFi?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I asked at ATT if i can use my blackberry ATT SIM and just put it into the iPhone and use it, and i was told no that once i activate the iPhone it will disable the blackberry SIM.

If i unlock the iPhone can i simply put in my blackberry SIM and be able to use it?

I want to be able to try to learn the iPhone while being able to use my blackberry. Also if i get the date plan for the iPhone can i use it on the blackberry as well, or get blackberry data plan and use it with iPhone? or if i don't get the date plan for the iPhone i would have to disable EDGE and just use WiFi?

You are complicating your life instead!:eek:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
that's true that the Blackberry sim card will be disabled. Apple puts a new sim in every iPhone so they will know when one is activated. Once it gets activated, then Apple starts getting their funding from AT&T for their portion of the iPhone data plans.

Now you can remove the sim and put it in another phone and your second phone will work just fine. Your data will still be free (unlimited) and you will still have whichever amount of sms that you chose (200, 1500, unlimited) when you selected your new iPhone data plan.

YOu won't be able to use both phones at one time, but you can certainly swap the sim card between phones. I've done this many times with my other phones just to verify that they will work.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
that is what i do when i go places that i think that i might break my iPhone, i use a old crapy nokia i got on craigslist for 20 bucks

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Quick question, how do I get the sim card out? I know it's located at the top of the phone but I can't seem to open it...

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
oh i was under the assumption that you cant use iPhone sim with the blackberry at all or any other phone for that matter. But if i can pull the sim from iPhone and put in blackberry and it will work thats great... would the iPhone have to be unlocked or jailbroken or anything?

Also to transfer all the names and phone numbers from blackberry to iPhone can i unlock the iPhone, then use my old sim card put it in the iPhone, transfer and then activate the new sim with iPhone?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Quick question, how do I get the sim card out? I know it's located at the top of the phone but I can't seem to open it...

You use a paper clip through the little in the top of the phone.