Unlocking? Jailbreaking? buhh?

Dec 26, 2008
Hi, I'm new to the forum, have been searching around quite a bit as I have a friend who is looking into getting an iPhone, and using it on TMobile. I currently have a 3g on ATT, and he wants one but we quickly found out that there isn't a software unlock for it, at least not until next Wednesday. I'm just looking for some clarification as to his options...

He could do one of these options, Right?

He could:
A: buy a factory unlocked 3g off ebay/craigslist/somewhere for probably megabucks and have it work on tmobile,
B: buy a locked 3g from someone so he doesn't have to get a contract, wait until wednesday then do the new software unlock thats coming out, or
C: buy a 2g, unlock it and use it.

He is going to be in an area that gets the TMobile 3g service, so he can take advantage of that, correct?

Also, would we have to jailbreak his phone in order to do the unlock? I'm still rather confused as to what jailbreaking really does.

Thanks, and I"m sorry if this has been posted 30 million times before, I just couldn't find it.

Pete

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
my understanding is that when you unlock it will jailbreak as well. if he buys one from someone else make sure that they are not updated to 2.2 firmware on the 3g iPhone because the software unlock DOES NOT WORK WITH IT!

Dec 26, 2008
aha, thanks a lot! Isn't there a way to downgrade it?

..wait you probably need to be activated to upgrade/downgrade, don't you.

Bah.

Thanks!

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ
If it's running v2.2, there is currently no way to downgrade the baseband.