Unlocking jailbroken 1st gen iPhone

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Hi all - I need some guidance from our eic resident experts. I have a first gen iPhone running on 2.0 and it still has the original sim. I have since upgraded to the 3gs. So, my old iPhone is just there sitting in my drawer since June. I don't even remember which jaikbreaking SW (quickpwn or Pwnage?) I used for it, I hVe both Cydia and Insraller on the phone. Here are my questions:
1. How do I unlock a jailbroken iPhone. I want to use it for international travel
2. Can I upgrade to 3.0 and use the old non-working sim to activate if need be?
3. I read a little on the bootneuter. Can I download that from my cydia Nd unlock with that?
4. If I successfuly unlock, would I be able to use all the other functions without an active sim card?

I thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Firstly, let iTunes update your phone to 3.0.

Secondly, follow this guide to jailbreak/unlock.

Once unlocked/jailbroken, most non-phone relaed functions will operate without a sim card.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
If you decide to update to 3.0.1 instead of 3.0, when Redsn0w asks you for the ipsw file, point it at the 3.0 file NOT the 3.0.1 file and you will be fine and unlocked on 3.0.1.

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Thank u both for your replies. Question: would I need to activate that phone again? If so, will I have to use my current 3gs sim or can I just upgrade to 3.0 without a sim. The phone works perfect as it is right now. Can I just unlock it as is? I just wanted to unlock so I can take it with me on my occasional international trips. I'm so sorry I didn't unlock it when I had the chance during the jailbreak process. I just don't want to chance having a brick phone if I update to 3.0. Thanks again

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Firstly, let iTunes update your phone to 3.0.

Secondly, follow this guide to jailbreak/unlock.

Once unlocked/jailbroken, most non-phone relaed functions will operate without a sim card.
Hi, can I just update to 3.0 or 3.0 with a jailbroken 2g running 2.2 OS right now, even if quickpwn was used to jailbreak? Thanks