Unlocking my JB iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ring0_event, May 29, 2017.

1. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hi,

I have a jailbroken iPhone 6s on 10.0.1, and I do NOT wish to lose my jailbreak. I would also like to get my phone unlocked. Getting the carrier to do that is easy, and merely involves that a small payment be made. However, it appears that based on my past experience with my old iPhone 5, that I would need to restore using iTunes:
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/ios-8-4-jailbreak-released.108306/page-2#post-1091469

But restoring in iTunes might involve losing my jailbreak, because 10.0.1 is no longer signed, right? Or do I misunderstand? Back when I had done this on my iPhone 5, there was an available jailbreak for the then available iOS version (8.4).

Thanks for any help!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you need to use the unlock right now? You can get it unlocked at it will be ready to go after you restore to sell it (if that's why you want it unlocked). You don't need to restore right away. You will lose your jailbreak if you restore. That said, when I got my 6s unlocked by AT&T, it worked immediately without restoring. I've unlocked an iPhone every year and all the others required activation to apply. Activation used to be possible on jailbroken devices without restoring, but that no longer works.

3. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hi Europa,

Many thanks for replying! I don't need it right now, so I will wait. Luckily, my old iPhone 5 with its replaced battery will substitute for my need for an unlocked phone during my upcoming trip.
    Thanks for confirming what I had suspected.

So just to confirm- two questions:
    a) The unlock process: I can ask my carrier to unlock my phone, wait for the next jailbreak (which may be quite long, if ever), backup, restore, then jailbreak? Was that correct?
    b) Does it matter that my carrier unlock my phone and that I wait for the next jailbreak? My phone will continue to function correctly during this interval, right?

Thanks for your help!

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. You can request it from your carrier now and then wait for months or years to actually restore it and activate the unlock. Your phone will function normally while jailbroken after the carrier has processed the unlock. Nothing will change.

5. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Your iPhone should reinstate the activation process by simply putting in a SIM card of a different carrier, it'll respring the phone and head directly to the activation screen that you would have seen when you first set up your iPhone. If it passes, you'll immediately end up on your home screen and your phone will be factory unlocked, otherwise it'll say the SIM is invalid — of course this is what would normally happen, but I have no idea if the jailbreak interferes with that process (it shouldn't). This is how to factory unlock your iPhone without wiping it.

There's no risk in trying to do this, so might as well give it a shot.

6. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa for your answer, I'll get myself ready for the next jailbreak (here's hoping, they seem to be MUCH rarer nowadays). I have asked Leo two questions, and if you have the time to comment, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Leo, thanks for your answer. I have two questions:
    a) If I put in a SIM card from another carrier into my carrier unlocked (but unrestored in iTunes) phone, will the phone respring, or reboot? There's a big difference for me between both cases. My current jailbreak is semi-tethered, and me being on vacation far from my laptop, I won't be able to re-jailbreak my phone while on vacation. Even then, it's a SEVERE pain in the but, as I have to create a new AppleID each time, since I cannot use the old one to re-sign Yalu jailbreak app (at least the first time I was forced to reboot and re-jailbreak, I could not do this).
    b) Are you sure this cannot interfere with my Yalu jailbreak? Yalu jailbreak is quite painful because I have to resign the Yalu app to re-jailbreak my phone with a newly created AppleID EACH TIME I reboot...

Thanks for any help!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is what happened when I unlocked my 6s. However, it didn't happen with any of my older phones in the years prior to that when I unlocked them (they had to be activated to get it to apply). The strange thing is that AT&T still includes directions that include restoring. I was pleasantly surprised that it just worked when I put a T-Mobile SIM in my 6s. When I Google it, I still see everyone saying they have to be restored.

A jailbreak definitely doesn't interfere, though. Mine was jailbroken at the time.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It will not interfere with your jailbreak in any way. I am certain of this. I can't guarantee you that the unlock will apply without a restore, but you don't have anything to lose. It worked for me last year without a restore. Put the other SIM in it and test it once you get the approval from your carrier. It does not respring or reboot. You'll see the carrier name in the status bar within a minute if it did apply the unlock without a restore.

9. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa for your guidance. I'll try it out on my new phone when I'm on my trip, and bring along my old one just in case.
    Thanks to all.

10. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Update: just inserting the sim card worked, no respring/reboot necessary, and my phone is unlocked! I think that the restore in iTunes for device unlocking is no longer necessary with iOS 9 and above.

11. William Thatcher

William Thatcher New Member

The way the unlock is applied to the phone is as follows. The network submits your unlock request in their servers, which are then sent to the apple database. The unlock is performed directly in the apple database most of the times. This is called a factory unlock.
    Once the unlock is performed in the apple database you apply it to your iPhone when you update the iPhone to the latest IOS version. This way, the iPhone takes the unlock information from the apple database and applies it to the phone!

12. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Do I understand that you're stating that an iTunes restore is needed in order to apply the unlock information from Apple's database to the phone? I needed no iTunes intervention. Having called my provider a few days earlier and paid for the unlock (meaning it was subsequently propagated to Apple's database), I merely inserted another sim card, and it worked right away on the other network, quite unlocked, without any iTunes intervention. I was on 10.0.1, jailbroken.
    Did I misunderstand your meaning?

13. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

As of iOS 7 (or 8), it's no longer required to restore. Your phone is now factory unlocked, there's nothing more you need to do.

Cheers.

14. William Thatcher

William Thatcher New Member

The iTunes restore is the best way to apply the unlock, because some iPhones get stuck when you just insert a SIM from a different network. I agree that this happens rarely, but it is the best way to do it.
    If it worked in your case, trust me when I say it doesn't work for everyone.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is bad advice. It has been established that unlocking no longer requires a restore. Apple did this to simplify the process for people. Why recommend that people restore anyway due to an extremely rare situation that possibly would result in them needing to restore?

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm tingling.