unlocking question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
i have an iPhone that is unlocked. i did a restore and i got a activation screen and i decided to activate it through iTunes. i put in a t mobile sim but it didn't work. i thought it was unlocked and the restore have nothing to do with the unlock. do i have to jailbrake it for it to work? i really want to update to 1.1.1, but i m afraid of it getting bricked.

Oct 2, 2007
San Diego, CA
So far it seems there's no avoiding bricking your phone if you unlock it and then update. Though this only applys to unlocking and activating with another carrier. If you just put 3rd party apps on it, the update will just wipe them off.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i have an iPhone that is unlocked. i did a restore and i got a activation screen and i decided to activate it through iTunes. i put in a t mobile sim but it didn't work. i thought it was unlocked and the restore have nothing to do with the unlock. do i have to jailbrake it for it to work? i really want to update to 1.1.1, but i m afraid of it getting bricked.
You cannot activate through iTunes with a T-Mobile SIM in the phone. It has to be AT&T's SIM.
If it is unlocked, then doing the update with render the phone useless.
If the phone does not work right away with the T-Mobile SIM, then it's a good chance that the phone is NOT unlocked, but I would test like crazy to make sure.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
once you update it to 1.1.1 all the mods will be gone and the phone is no longer can be use. since 1.1.1 haven't being cracked yet all u need to do is just wait the news from dev team for it.

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
i guess i will just wait for them. i really want to update. i don't know why did i even unlock it. i don't even use tmobile.