Unlocking the V1 on OS 3.0

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
The V1 doesn't need the Ultrasn0w to unlock right? Can one use the Pawnage Tool and unlock like with other updates?

Thanks a lot!

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Wait, so waht would I need to unlock/jailbreak 3.0 on v1?

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Could someone pls give step by step instructions on how to update and unlock a 2G iPhone to get it running on the new 3.0 firmware. I'm currently using an unlocked 2G on 2.2 firmware.

Thanks.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I realize that... but can the V1 be unlocked without Ultrasn0w?
I guess I don't understand why you don't want to use Ultrasn0w. When the jailbreak for 3.0 comes out, so will Ultrasn0w. You can jailbreak + unlock all at the same time....Ultrasn0w should work on all iPhones running the 3.0 software...

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I guess I don't understand why you don't want to use Ultrasn0w. When the jailbreak for 3.0 comes out, so will Ultrasn0w. You can jailbreak + unlock all at the same time....Ultrasn0w should work on all iPhones running the 3.0 software...
AFAIK, ultrasn0w (update to yellowsn0w) is a 3G unlock, NOT a 2G. The 2G should still require something like quickpwn.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
AFAIK, ultrasn0w (update to yellowsn0w) is a 3G unlock, NOT a 2G. The 2G should still require something like quickpwn.
You might be correct. I saw on another thread someone stated that AFATK, it was an unlock for the 3.0 software, any device. I cannot find proper documentation saying it will work on the iPhone 2G. I guess when they update their blog and when the QuickPWN website is updated, we'll know the solution for the iPhone 2G unlock on 3.0.

tiffanyleigh0212

Bronze
Jan 10, 2009
If you have a 1st gen phone that i already unlocked, all you have to do is update. I did nothing else and my phone is working fine. Now beware some people on the dev-team website stated that after they updated they couldn't update, but then some people also didn't have a problem. so go at your own risk. worst case scenario: you update and can't activate, the pwnage will be out anytime now so i'd be a quick fix.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
If you have a 1st gen phone that i already unlocked, all you have to do is update. I did nothing else and my phone is working fine. Now beware some people on the dev-team website stated that after they updated they couldn't update, but then some people also didn't have a problem. so go at your own risk. worst case scenario: you update and can't activate, the pwnage will be out anytime now so i'd be a quick fix.

So are you saying all you did was install 3.0 off iTunes and you're phone was still unlocked?

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Sweet deal, I'm going to try this now.

Worst comes to worst, I'm out of a phone until Monday when my 3GS gets here, or maybe earlier if the dev team releases quickpwn.

Just thought of this, did you go from 2.2.1 to 3.0? I'm using the 2.2 OS right now so I'm curious if that is going to make a difference.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
What about a never unlocked or JB iPhone? Ultrasnow will work correct?once I JB

tiffanyleigh0212

Bronze
Jan 10, 2009
Yes I updated from 2.2.1 to 3.0.
and to styfle: i'm not sure about ultrasnow, i don't really know anything about it, but if you have a first gen phone then you don't need ultrasnow at all, it's just for 3g

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I gave it a shot, and it half worked.

The phone is still unlocked (I can see the carrier logo in the corner), but now it's not activated. Guess I'll wait on the Dev team to update quickpwn so I can use my phone again.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I'm trying to unlock my v1 thats on 3.0. I just downloaded pwnage tool but I'm still a little confused. I think it only jailbreaks but I'm probably missing something.

Redon

Apr 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm trying to unlock my v1 thats on 3.0. I just downloaded pwnage tool but I'm still a little confused. I think it only jailbreaks but I'm probably missing something.
this is kinda off topic but when i was running the 3.0 betas i used my dev account to activate it, what i did was put in an unactivated att sim then plug into iTunes, it would activate (without signing a two year contract) the and would put in my t-mobile sim while the phone was in recovery mode, start it up and i had an unlocked and activated iPhone with the 3.0 betas no jailbreaking required. idk if it will still work on the current 3.0.