Unread iMessage icon mysteriously resembles waning crescent moon, rotated 15° counter-clockwise.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've just seen a new icon in my Messages app on my iPhone. When the message was unread, the icon that normally resembles a full moon resembled instead a waning crescent moon that was rotated approximately 15° counter-clockwise:

whatdoesthismean.jpg

After I read the message, the waning, 15°-counter-clockwise-rotated crescent moon shape remained, but its color had changed to light gray instead of bright blue.

Interestingly, the icon on the corrresponding thread on the OS X Messages app maintained its normal appearance both before and after reading the iMessage on my iPhone.

I assume this means some kind of "Do Not Disturb" function set up just for that person? But how? I thought this was only possible for group MMS, and not for a conversation with a single person, and furthermore, I have no idea what I did to turn this function on. It might come in handy sometime in the future if I knew how to do this at will.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Open the conversation for that contact, click "Details" in the upper right corner and toggle Do Not Disturb off. You probably accidentally toggled it on for that contact.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Nice, very good to know. Thank you.