Unrecognizable Print..., 5 out of 6 times.

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by coop1701, Dec 6, 2013.

1. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Hey guys.. this just started on Monday and I have done everything I know to do. Almost every time I use the finger print reader now, I am getting unrecognizable print.

1.) I have changed the Password to sometime simple.
    2.) I have erased my finger prints and put them back in.
    3.) I have done a restore.

I think I am going to have to go to the Apple Store. So odd. I have had zero problems since I got the phone then Monday is just starts. These is nothing wrong the button, or at least that I can see. No smudges or scratches.

Anyone else had any issues with the finger print reader? Just odd I went from 98 percent success rate to about 20 percent.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That doesn't sound right. Although I've been using TouchID less as of late, all the reports I've seen have been improved results either through updates or re-entering. If you started fresh and still having trouble, a trip to the Apple Store sounds like a good idea. I'd be curious to hear what they have to say. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

3. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Chris... I scheduled a appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Just odd that this was out of the blue. Great performance and just stopped suddenly.

4. K.C.

K.C. Contributor
    Bronze

Same thing with me.. worked only about 10% of the time. I finally got sick of it the other day and turned it off. From what I read this is a widespread problem, and could involve winter dry skin, lotion, or other factors. In my case, I do believe its chapped skin.

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

My touch ID has also degraded.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They definitely degrade with time, in my experience. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with winter skin dryness, but I have to keep deleting and rescanning/saving my prints. I've had to do it about twenty times since September. My latest set includes three of the entries used just for my right thumb, so that's about forty scans of my thumb. I've found that overdoing it helps with print recognition - at least initially. I've been using this particular scan for about three days now and it's working great...for now.

It gets worse. My fingerprint scanner was crashing/respringing my phone on a daily basis for a couple weeks. Deleting that set of saved prints and scanning them in again fixed it.

7. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I found 2 threads in Apple Support forums about this very issue. It could very well be dry skin. I noticed the other day that mine started after I spent a day straining up Christmas Lights outside. My hands probably where chapped and warn after that. I haven't had time to go to the Apple Store yet, But After listening to you guys. I'm not sure replacing the phone would even help.

8. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Good thing for me I don't do anything outside and I usually wear gloves for the 15 seconds I'm out in the elements.

Sent using iCafe app and a gold iPhone 5s.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My Touch ID is still plugging along nicely.

10. K.C.

K.C. Contributor
    Bronze

yes I read that myself. Cold weather too! Maybe a fix is on the way?

11. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

A fix like moving to Florida?

Sent using iCafe app and a gold iPhone 5s.

12. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I'd gladly move to Miami and become a drug kingpin. :)

13. tybirdtybird

tybirdtybird Contributor
    Bronze

I had some trouble with it with otterbox case. I just fixed it. I let it scan my thumb without the case . Then second time it ask you to scan again I did with the case. Works great.