Unresponsive home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kyleplusitunes, Aug 30, 2010.

1. kyleplusitunes

Silver

my home button is acting weird, most of the time it's fine, but with increasing frequency it registers a single click as a double click or no click at all, what are my options here? will Apple fix the button?

2. phsycology

phsycology Zealot
    Gold

Take it into an Apple store to the genius bar, what've you got to loose? :)

EDIT: You'll have to make an appointment first though!

3. kyleplusitunes

Silver

nearest Apple store is over an hour away, if they don't fix it after that I'll be pissed.

4. phsycology

phsycology Zealot
    Gold

Okay, well then call their support beforehand - they can be extremely helpful 9/10 times! Compared to other support lines, Apple's is great!

5. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

If they can't fix it, they will usually replace it, on-the-spot (assuming it is within the warranty period or under Apple Care).

6. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

...also assuming that they have replacement ones in stock (they generally use refurb'ed ones)

7. jordan79

jordan79 New Member

Hi mine has started doing the same. Sometimes it works an sometimes not. Only started a week ago. Tryed double tap and it takes me to spotlight. 8 out 10 times it does this. Think ill have to change it for another one but everything else is fine on it.

8. guest5

guest5 Guest

Perhaps your backlight has dimmed and when you click your home button you are thinking it registered when in fact clicking the home button with you backlight dimmed only makes the backlight turn back to it's highest brightness and then you have to double click? Does this make sense?

9. jordan79

jordan79 New Member

Yeah i know wot u mean but its not that. I have this thing were everytime i close an app i have to close it in the multitask too stright away so it doent have time dim really. But i see your point.

10. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Mine has been doing the same exact thing... But I do believe it's a software issue. Not a hardware one. I am tempted to take mine back. But I have noticed this. depending upon how I opened the App and what App it is. Seems to have a effect. Like in Email. i close out email with the Home button. It always works. If in the Ipod, then it takes me to multitasking. Some apps, if I opened them via Switcher. They do not register the button push at all.

I'm not entirely sure it's a hardware issue. Mine was fine on 4.0. then 4.01 was when I first noticed this issue. The longer I have been on it. The worse it has gotten. Specially flipping from one App to another. Like FB and Twitter.

11. kyleplusitunes

Silver

good observation, I'll have to keep an eye on this

12. kyleplusitunes

Silver

I dunno but it seems like 4.1 fixed this, we shall see!

13. phsycology

phsycology Zealot
    Gold

Let us know how it goes....

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My brother's iPhone 4 has a balky home button as well, so it'll be interesting to see if an upgrade to 4.1 fixes the issue.

15. Mendo88

Mendo88 New Member

I've heard this is a popular issue affecting a lot of people. Can be very unresponsive and takes several attempts to recognize when I press it.

What can be done if anything if i take it into Apple.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

What phone? How log have you had it?

17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I have read, in the forums here, that some people have had good luck with a Q-tip dipped LIGHTLY in alcohol. Run around the edges of the home button. I can not vouch for this fix personally as I haven't had a problem.

18. Mendo88

Mendo88 New Member

iPhone 4. Around a year and a half. It's insured but don't know what Apple would do about it

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

No harm in making an appointment with a genius and have them check it out.
    Also try roofmonkeys tip. Works well.

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

of you have an Apple store near by, make an appointment with a genius and have them take a look at it. They may replace it for you. Be sure to sync & backup before you go.